Controlling Load

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Newton’s
So you are saying the shoulders will respond to the direction of the top hand, heading towards a predetermined point of contact?

The shoulders will latch on to the torso at load, then release from the torso during launch. Protraction/retraction and then retraction/protraction. In that order from front to back then back to front. Yes, the shoulders follow the hands during launch. That’s where the shoulder tilt comes from.. not much on a high pitch. Much more on a low pitch.

Edit: the lead shoulder does reattach. But it’s after launch of the barrel.

Oct 2, 2017
Newton’s

The shoulders will latch on to the torso at load, then release from the torso during launch. Protraction/retraction and then retraction/protraction. In that order from front to back then back to front. Yes, the shoulders follow the hands during launch. That’s where the shoulder tilt comes from.. not much on a high pitch. Much more on a low pitch.

Edit: the lead shoulder does reattach. But it’s after launch of the barrel.
Ok, I don't know what any of that Protraction, retraction, detaching shoulder, reattaching shoulders from the torso means when it comes to the swing LOL. That's to advanced for me. I would have to just take your word for it, but I can agree that the shoulder should follow in response to the hands.

Apr 17, 2019
To the OP, sorry for derailing your thread. @Spanky$5
Try practicing front toss starting with her in her normal stance, but with a ball under her left foot (tennis ball, softball). She obviously won't be able to swing proper with a ball under her foot. She will need to figure out timing of the stride that she does on that beautiful tee swing.

W=W, Would you like to take this to a dedicated thread? Happy to keep going ;)

Oct 2, 2017
Try practicing front toss starting with her in her normal stance, but with a ball under her left foot (tennis ball, softball). She obviously won't be able to swing proper with a ball under her foot. She will need to figure out timing of the stride that she does on that beautiful tee swing.

Agreed! Sorry about that @Spanky$5

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
We can take it to another thread.. but this does tie into what is wrong w her swing. Along w the uphill posture she has. Moving the middle better was the cure. I agree.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali

these comments are exactly spot on.. she has to ‘learn’ the timing.. There’s a reason why the tee swing looks so good and the moving ball swing is suspect at TiMeS.

May 8, 2019

Thanks and no problem I enjoy reading y’all’s take on the swing, I do appreciate all that help with critiquing or drills to help my dd swing to get better.

May 8, 2019
View attachment 24175

She doesn't really have a load, or a coil, or an uncoil.

She has no stride. If you go no-stride, you should pick up the front heel to coil hips in.

Or, go to a stride, and start moving forward when the pitcher releases the ball. Make sure you coil the hips inward as you go.

Notice how she just drops her hands back toward the catcher, without turning her hips around. Her hips should already be turned at 'hip slot'. The back elbow should drop in front of her, not behind her per above.

Notice how pros rotate the hands/shoulders/hips mostly in unison from toe touch to hip slot below.

View attachment 24177

@efastball how any tips or drills to help with elbow drop in the video you replied to, she trying to make adjustments with coil but still having this elbow drop

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28