Concerned with DD injury

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 3, 2023
Looking for some comforting advice... My DD had a very slight fracture in push off leg(tibial tuberosity) about 3 wks ago, So for the last 3 wks she's been in a fixed brace, Today DR removed brace but have another 3 wks before he will release her. My concern is how will this affect her, if at all not being able to practice with her legs at all l, We recently began arm mechanics again to get familiar but an very concerned on how she'll perform.

Has anyone gone through this? How did your DD recover and how did they perform 6 wks no practice or anything???

Nov 18, 2013
At 12U DD was off her feet for six months with a hip injury and was sidelined for three months sophomore year of HS with a shoulder injury. We shared your concerns, but in both instances she bounced back relatively quick (2-3 months). Seems like an eternity while you’re going through it, but neither injury affected her long term goals and she pitched four years in college.

Hope your DD has a speedy recovery!

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Same age I think DD broke big toe going back to 1st as a runner, done for season.

She picked it right back up. For us we were more worried about her mentally. She felt she was leaving her Team down, pitching I was confident she be fine when she came back.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Looking for some comforting advice... My DD had a very slight fracture in push off leg(tibial tuberosity) about 3 wks ago, So for the last 3 wks she's been in a fixed brace, Today DR removed brace but have another 3 wks before he will release her. My concern is how will this affect her, if at all not being able to practice with her legs at all l, We recently began arm mechanics again to get familiar but an very concerned on how she'll perform.
Has anyone gone through this? How did your DD recover and how did they perform 6 wks no practice or anything???
My niece broke her ankle (plant) foot on a trampoline. Even though she healed well before the season. She starting landing with a bent front leg/knee, getting on the front leg and then throwing. Her front side resistance was completely messed up.

A injury can mess with you.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
My dd took 2 months off of pitching every year. Sometimes longer. After a week of practice it always felt like she was faster with 90% of her control back.

What age is your dd? I expect she will be fine.

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
She’ll be just fine. 6 weeks is nothing over the course of the grand journey. DD lost 3 months due to significant knee pain in her drive leg. She came back and was throwing harder. Sometimes the time off can be a blessing in disguise.

This is also where teaching your DD how to play underhand catch is huge (assuming she’s cleared to walk on the leg).

At the end of the day, take all the time that is needed for her to be 100%. One to two months off for an 11 year old is a blink of an eye.

Jan 3, 2023
She’ll be just fine. 6 weeks is nothing over the course of the grand journey. DD lost 3 months due to significant knee pain in her drive leg. She came back and was throwing harder. Sometimes the time off can be a blessing in disguise.

This is also where teaching your DD how to play underhand catch is huge (assuming she’s cleared to walk on the leg).

At the end of the day, take all the time that is needed for her to be 100%. One to two months off for an 11 year old is a blink of an eye.
Thank goodness! Yes Dr yesterday removed the brace allowing her to now walk fully without a brace of some sort, His only stipulation was she could not under any circumstance use that leg to push off of anything, or squat, etc... If we see she does, we are to put it back on. Hes given her an additional 3 wks before shes allowed to do anything with it. Hopefully it goes by quick lol

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
Thank goodness! Yes Dr yesterday removed the brace allowing her to now walk fully without a brace of some sort, His only stipulation was she could not under any circumstance use that leg to push off of anything, or squat, etc... If we see she does, we are to put it back on. Hes given her an additional 3 wks before shes allowed to do anything with it. Hopefully it goes by quick lol

It's hard as a parent. My DD has had multiple injuries over her journey that has kept her on the sideline for weeks to months at a time. The most important thing to remember is to get them back to 100% before getting them back on the field. I often think that's harder for the parents to let happen than the player.

DD has had to take time off for her right knee, both shoulders, and a concussion. She'll be 15 this year and has been playing since she was 10/11. And, for now, is wanting to play at least through high school.

We found that finding something else for DD to do or focus on during the down time helped.

Nov 18, 2015
Use the time to work on the mental aspect of the game. Or practice spinning the ball with fingers while she's sitting on the couch. Pull up any of the early-season tournaments and have her chart pitch sequences.

Here in the mid-Atlantic, tournaments don't even start until late March anyway - 3-weeks will be in the rear-view window in no time. By early May (when you still have 2.5 months of games ahead of you), I would be surprised if you're still seeing any sort of skill-loss due to her rest and recovery.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802