Complete game lapse of swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 16, 2019
My 10 year old DD has a great swing. I like it...in practice and hitting into the net pre-game. She does really well...until a game begins. She may be nervous, but it really does not show...but she "baby" swings, as one of her coaches says. The power swing is gone and a 5 yr old appears to have taken over her mind and physical form. This was not always true though. She use to hit better in games than in practice. Something switched off or on. But if she is reminded, or harassed, she can still swing for the fences at times. Anyone else have this happen? I know I am not the only one. But she knows how to hit and swing the bat, so I am sure it is a mental issue.

It isn't pressure...I don't think. She catches often and loves that pressure when the game is close. Plays third and RF some as well, and never fails to make a great effort. We go practice, or with her team and she hits as good or better than anyone on the team; but when game time comes around, I have stopped expecting her to drive in a ton of runs, and I just hope for contact past the pitcher. Something has to get fixed.

And by the way, during the game, I stay far away in the OF watching and not applying pressure.

Oct 16, 2019
Could be somebody got on her for K’ing (coach?) and she now is trying to do what you say you are hoping for..🤷🏽‍♂️
I have never said that to her, so she does not know that, and that was said half in gest...but it is almost a fear up there that she has- so you could be right. I When she swings hard she has a beautiful swing. When she is off, it looks like a lazy swing. I tried give a confidence boost...just not working. Now her defense, she is doing great and has been doing fantastic. Plays hard, all out, with a strong accurate arm.
I am trying to get her back into a coach for lessons. The guy I have taken her to in the past is great, and will build up that confidence, I do believe.

Jun 8, 2016
I have never said that to her, so she does not know that, and that was said half in gest...but it is almost a fear up there that she has- so you could be right. I When she swings hard she has a beautiful swing. When she is off, it looks like a lazy swing. I tried give a confidence boost...just not working. Now her defense, she is doing great and has been doing fantastic. Plays hard, all out, with a strong accurate arm.
I am trying to get her back into a coach for lessons. The guy I have taken her to in the past is great, and will build up that confidence, I do believe.
I wasn’t referring to you..,I have seen a lot of 10U coaches go nuts when their 9 YO player K’s..

Jun 8, 2016
LOL Just reinforcing it was not me...I understood your post.
Has she been hit? Either way (there are a lot of different reasons young players can lose the intent to do damage..) I second @Orange Socks. Be patient, keep encouraging her to hit the ball hard and keep working with her. It will work itself out.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Timing, timing , and timing. Probably early at 10u. Work the on deck circle. Work on when do I start my move out against this pitcher. Pitchers arm at high noon is a good starting point. Slow to fast.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Her being hit or being afraid to be hit is a good question which needs to be answered 1st. I call this happy feet, watch her feet and you might be able to see if this is an Issue.

I would lean towards being afraid to strike out.

I get 1st swing, she is swinging for fence. She can have next 2 herself. Something like that might work.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Ask her to pay attention to how her good swings feel in her body. Tell her to take that feeling to the box, and make her game swings feel the same way.

That said, there could be a lot of factors getting in the way. Got any video you can share?

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802