Colorado Sparkler Juniors

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 29, 2013
South Central Pa
Looking for tips on what to do and not to do at the Colorado Sparkler Juniors. East coast team heading there for the first time. Tips and advice appreciated.

tjintx

A real searcher
May 27, 2012
TEXAS
DO NOT take the team to a Marijuana Dispensary no matter how much they beg for the brownies......:p;)

Apr 14, 2011
The main advice we received from locals and those who have been there before when going to Boulder was to drink a lot leading up to the trip. They explained to me that the higher altitude hits the athletes hard if they aren't well hydrated. I'm sure there is some science behind it but I'm not that smart so I can't explain it. A local umpire we met also advised having the girls walk around a lot the day before the tournament actually started to get them used to the air. We followed the advice and didn't really notice any issues with the altitude for the players.

Good luck!!! I'm sure it will be fun!!

Dec 20, 2012
If possible get there a couple of days early so the kids get acclimated to the altitude. Some of the fields are tucked away in neighborhoods, local parks, and not the easiest to find. So be sure to give yourself plenty of time to find the fields. Pack extra socks, sliders, uniforms, glove.....! Somebody on the team will forgets something that is not available off the shelf. Many of the fields are close to Aurora but one of least nicest areas to stay. Not much more advice regarding ball.

In many of the small towns southwest of Denver they have AWESOME firework displays, would recommend making the drive. Highland Ranch, Englewood ,... down in that area is really nice. So much to see in a short time but if they are playing Jrs. chances are you will be back again(and again). Royal Gorge, white water rafting, Golden(Coors brewery), Pikes Peak, Manitou Cliff Dwellings, camping in the mountains, too much to list. If any concerts at Red Rock Amphitheater during your stay try to catch one, very cool. You have plenty of time to get online and find the stuff that fits your family/team.

Oct 4, 2011
Colorado
Looking for tips on what to do and not to do at the Colorado Sparkler Juniors. East coast team heading there for the first time. Tips and advice appreciated.

Glad to hear CO is still the place to be in July for softball. Here's some locals tips specifically for Sparkler Juniors:
1. You'll be playing in Northern Colorado (Greely, Loveland, Ft. Collins) not Aurora or Boulder. Book early at the Embassy Suites Loveland, right by I-25, good breakfast, "manager's reception" fed my girls an early dinner and of course suites are good for families. The Ft. Collins Marriot is nice too, has the only outdoor pool in NoCo.
2. The player party/pin trading is really fun for 12s & 14s, don't miss it.
3. Triple Crown likes to make lots of $. The all-star games are a great experience but pricey and don't expect much recruiting because there a ton of games and the coaches are mostly at the 16s/18s.
4. Do visit the Christopher Complex on Monday or Tuesday night, my daughter got to hang out with Sue Enquist and Jessica Mendoza, Jenny Finch etc for autographs.
5. On your off day visit Rocky Mountain National Park and drive up trail ridge road and see/play in snow in July. Can't overstate the beauty of this place. Red Rocks/Coors Field fireworks show/tubing on Boulder creek also great.
6. Go to coloradofastpitch.com to look for friendlies/scrimmages if you want to get acclimated. Remind your pitchers they might give up a few more dingers.
7. 80 degrees and sunny is HOT! 90 degrees and cloudy is not but that means those thunderstorms are coming quick.

Have fun and good luck!
Pete

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2013
Midwest
On acclimating to the elevation-do what nfl when they go to Denver. Show up early and work in it to help adjust. Use pedialyte vs Gatorade usually they hit the pedialyte days before like one would do with water.

Dec 20, 2012
Glad to hear CO is still the place to be in July for softball. Here's some locals tips specifically for Sparkler Juniors:
1. You'll be playing in Northern Colorado (Greely, Loveland, Ft. Collins) not Aurora or Boulder. Book early at the Embassy Suites Loveland, right by I-25, good breakfast, "manager's reception" fed my girls an early dinner and of course suites are good for families. The Ft. Collins Marriot is nice too, has the only outdoor pool in NoCo.
2. The player party/pin trading is really fun for 12s & 14s, don't miss it.
3. Triple Crown likes to make lots of $. The all-star games are a great experience but pricey and don't expect much recruiting because there a ton of games and the coaches are mostly at the 16s/18s.
4. Do visit the Christopher Complex on Monday or Tuesday night, my daughter got to hang out with Sue Enquist and Jessica Mendoza, Jenny Finch etc for autographs.
5. On your off day visit Rocky Mountain National Park and drive up trail ridge road and see/play in snow in July. Can't overstate the beauty of this place. Red Rocks/Coors Field fireworks show/tubing on Boulder creek also great.
6. Go to coloradofastpitch.com to look for friendlies/scrimmages if you want to get acclimated. Remind your pitchers they might give up a few more dingers.
7. 80 degrees and sunny is HOT! 90 degrees and cloudy is not but that means those thunderstorms are coming quick.

Have fun and good luck!
Pete

Yep my mistake. Did not even consider it being anywhere other than Denver area.

Jul 17, 2008
Southern California
HAVE FUN!
My DD's team won the Sparkler junior tourney in 2009. 14U. My kid pitched the championship games and i will NEVER forget it!
It was awesome.
Whatever happens have FUN, do everything you can find the time to do.
Have team parties and activities if you can. Make it an event to remember.