College softball prospect camp question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 8, 2021
Wondering what to expect for D1 college softball camp prospect fees in total.

For example, my kid wants to attend XXX college softball D1 camp. Defense and hitting costs $325+$19.95 service fee, and $125 for pitching/catching+$7.50 service fee all in the same day. This amounts to almost $480

Is this the going norm we should expect? Personally I feel the service fees are ridiculous to be placed on top of the camp.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now

For example, my kid wants to attend XXX college softball D1 camp. Defense and hitting costs $325+$19.95 service fee, and $125 for pitching/catching+$7.50 service fee all in the same day. This amounts to almost $480

Is this the going norm we should expect? Personally I feel the service fees are ridiculous to be placed on top of the camp.
As usual, the fees will depend on many factors. The success of the program, the desirability of the players to play for the program, the quality of education and number/desirability of majors, tuition costs, location of college. etc., etc. Some of these camps will be more while some will be much less. For example, a MM D1 in NEO has camps that are in the $60 per session.

May 27, 2013
Varies greatly among schools. Some might be just around $100 and some upwards of what you posted. IME, the most expensive camps were at the Ivy League schools.

Aug 5, 2022
Missouri camps cost nearly twice as much as any other camp my dd has attended…it definitely varies by school.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nov 15, 2019
DD went to a 7 hour camp at a private D1 and the cost was $120. The Power 5 school near by was $300 for 4 hours and close to $500 for a day long one.

Oct 14, 2020

Original fee amounts aside, they're really charging you 6% to cover payment with a credit card?

Jul 22, 2015

Just my experience, but this sounds like a full-price, strictly for profit camp. Generally, the camps where they are actually evaluating players are invite-only and much cheaper. I'm not saying the camp isn't worth the money (could get great instruction) or that they won't see any players that they will eventually recruit, I just wouldn't base too much of the value on the recruiting aspect unless she has been in contact with the school and they have shown interest.

Jan 25, 2022
Last summer I looked into taking my older daughter to a softball camp at a D1 OVC conference school nearby. It was $180 for the day. Ended up cancelled before I decided yay or nay.

Just for fun, I looked to see if a nearby C-USA school was doing anything. They had a 2-day camp for 7th-12th graders listed for $150. Two days seemed absurd for that kind of money, so I wasn't expecting much. I just thought it would be something fun to do, and she could get an idea of what it's like around a D1 campus and the athletic facilities. They had about 80 girls show up. They stayed busy, doing lots of drills, IF/OF, hitting, pitching, catching. All of it. Then picked teams and practiced, then went into gameplay the second day. It was a lot of fun. The 16-18 year old players were savages, so I was glad my 15 year old got to stay with the lower level.

Anyway...I will say. It was called a "prospect camp," but I didn't see any clipboards, notepads, or even a leftover lunch napkin in the hands of a coach being written on. No one was evaluating talent in any official capacity. The girls weren't tagged or individually identifiable in any kind of system, etc.

Someone later said the older players were probably already commits for that school, but I don't think that was the case. Regardless, I think the whole experience was well worth $150. If I was paying $350+ for a single day somewhere, it better be something extra special.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RunnerOn2