College softball coverage

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 18, 2013
Oklahoma and Iowa State will be on ESPN+ this weekend. Should be an entertainment series. I exp ct OU to put up 10+ (Maybe 20) at least one of the games. I think ISU actually has a chance to take one. Small chance, but a chance. We did it in football, why not softball?

Go Cyclones!

Dec 11, 2010
ISU has some big wins.

Too bad they don’t have the opportunity to put a beating on the Hawkeyes this year.

Two great SEC series this weekend, LSU v Florida and Kentucky v Alabama.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
I get to watch my DD play in person today...because it's an away game. Watching online is okay but that commentator is just mind numbing. He says the most bizarre things. This batter uses a thin handled bat. What? Every batter that has an open stance, he has to point out. When the team got a double play (touch 3rd then to 1st) he says in all the games including minor league baseball he has Never seen such a play. Are you serious? He is also clueless about the spectator policy. If you are watching we have plenty of room in the stands. It's gonna be a beautiful day tomorrow. You should come fill the stands. I was about to punch the TV.

Jun 11, 2012
DD played last night away. The video feed started late. Camera angle was from the outfield straight down the middle so you could see CF, pitcher, catcher, second and short. No score ever said and no live stats for game one.
game 2 had live stats but video stopped in the 5th. They had a huge come from behind win in the 7th which was great but would have been nice to actually see.
I do, however know more than I need to about the video guys golf game, where he grew up and his feelings about Tom Brady because he was chatting with the other person in the booth instead of about the game.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Let’s talk about college softball coverage! The good, the bad, the ugly.

First of all.... Every 16u travel ball game in the country is live streamed. Come on, colleges, figure it out. If dopey tb dads can figure out how to live stream, you can too.

If you aren’t going to allow visitors fans at games, STREAM THE GAME. Again, how hard is this?

If you are a college hosting more than one visiting team, why in the world are you only streaming home team games? Come on, you aren’t letting fans in and you aren’t streaming these games? GROW THE GAME, it benefits the sport and your schools sports!

One camera is better than none.... But it’s 2021.... You can do this, I know you can.

And now for the announcers:

If you have said a phrase a couple times, it’s time to find another way to say it.

Example: I don’t ever need to hear “free pass” or “issued a free pass” ever again.

Issued a free pass. Issued a free pass. Issued a free pass. Issued a free pass. Issued a free pass. Issued a free pass. Issued a free pass. Issued a free pass. Issued a free pass. Issued a free pass. Issued a free pass. Issued a free pass. Issued a free pass. Issued a free pass. Issued a free pass. Issued a free pass. Issued a free pass. Issued a free pass. Issued a free pass. Issued a free pass.

See how unpleasant that is?

Same with “She didn’t try to do too much with that pitch”. Same with “She takes her hands to the ball.” Never people. Especially not FOR EVERY DAMN HIT IN THE GAME. Thanks for your help with this.

Next... quit with the technique commentary on every move the players make. You played college softball. Quit sounding like a 12u rec league coach. You know interesting things. You see things those of us who didn’t play at that level don’t see. If you are going to talk technique or strategy, please don’t dumb it down. Elevate the viewers.

I would rather hear that if you ever come to Anytown to catch a game, the players favorite restaurant is Loco Tacos and you might see players there with families later tonight.

I would rather hear about game scores that may be of interest.

I would rather hear about what it was like when you played here.

I would rather get an update on the dude in the front row wearing a nacho hat.

If I wanted to hear an hour and a half of vapid technique critique I would go to a 10u softball practice.

Happy 2021, y’all! Let’s watch some softball!
:) Hope getting that out of your system relieves some pressure.

What i gleen also from that type of announcing style....
it speaks to the beginners watching.
Loses part of the listening audience.
Are they trying to teach/coach from the microphone?!

As to camara angles and production, is it you get what you pay for? Or are they in school still being graded? Lol

I'm not a fan of players walk up music....
So theres that.
Lets focus on better played softball!!!
Please ;)

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2016
Michelle Smith likes to say "she barreled up the bat" when there is a nice hit.

I notice that college softball announcers spend a lot more time talking about mechanics where as MLB announcers don't do that.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
I notice that college softball announcers spend a lot more time talking about mechanics where as MLB announcers don't do that.
For a first time watcher, that is fine. But I have been watching for the past 10 years, it's so annoying. They try to fill the dead air with coach speak and pointing out the differences in the pitching over and over. They try.

Jul 22, 2015
Yes to all of this! Watching DD's games and the announcer says "lifted the ball" for every ball hit in the air. I would rather these commentators not just read what is on their online bio. How about send the players a questionnaire asking 10 questions about themselves, likes, dislikes, favorite whatever, most embarrassing, best place to hang out after practice, best thing about the school, what travel ball team did you play for, superstitions, other sports, etc?

What else should we add to this list?
I could do without ever hearing Michelle Smith comment on a pitcher's "backdoor curve" again. Especially when it was a screwball lol.

Dec 11, 2010
:) Hope getting that out of your system relieves some pressure.

What i gleen also from that type of announcing style....
it speaks to the beginners watching.
Loses part of the listening audience.
Are they trying to teach/coach from the microphone?!

As to camara angles and production, is it you get what you pay for? Or are they in school still being graded? Lol

I'm not a fan of players walk up music....
So theres that.
Lets focus on better played softball!!!
Please ;)
I do think it’s getting better.

Sometimes they need to just talk and be themselves. Sometimes I just wish I could tell them “hey quit trying so hard”.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802