College freshman playing 18u

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
I wonder if more summer leagues like the one in FL will pop up. How well does that draw (fan wise)? Cape League baseball is cool as heck but part of what makes it cool is how many pro scouts are there watching which wouldn’t be true for softball (unfortunately) summer leagues.

Nov 29, 2009
Yes, but you're not a "college player" until you actually play in college.

With the Jan 1 cutoff and if your DD has an early birthday she can still be age eligible after playing her freshman season of college ball. My DD has an early February birthday. DD was 18 when she started her freshman season of college ball. When she was done with her freshman season, at 19, she could have played another season of 18U ball. DD decided against it because at the time 18U was still 40 ft. and she did not want to spend the time to adjust all her pitches back to that distance for the summer and then go back to 43'.

Apr 12, 2019
Valerie Cagle, born Jan 7th 2002, is playing Team USA U18 softball. Probably the most accomplished pitcher to ever play on that team.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
IDT specifies: No College Players. If your 18U Age eligible DD wants to play in some local tourneys, go for it. But you have to understand what teams are playing in those locals. Usually tier 2 and tier 3 teams that do not compete at the higher levels. Those teams players could have 8th graders all the way to Seniors on the team. If a kid rolls up that has 1 year of college experience under her belt, there will be a bunch a sideways looks from the parents in the stands. I know you are 19 years old and you have been working out and playing with/against 22 and sometimes 23 year old players but c'mon man.

Summer 2019 there was a D2 pitcher that was an asst coach for a team that was playing in a 16U/18U local tourney. This pitcher is a stud who helped her team to the Tx state 6A finals. She also was named to the 6A All tournament team. She pitched in that tourney and word got around the region pretty quick. Really? She was pitching against 16U players. The HC of the team really wanted a trophy.

Feb 1, 2021
I understand the language of course. The logic misses with me. In 16 and 18U there are already college committed kids. You just excluded those kids from what you are looking at. Doesn't seem that hard.

I also don't care that dominant age appropriate kids are still playing. I wouldn't want it 'dumbed down' for the non-committed kids, but thats me.

I think I mentioned this once before but my DD played in a showcase hosted by a NAIA school. Another team also playing that showcase brought a guest pitcher that was the FloSoftball #1 ranked player in the country for her age. She was as good as everyone said she was. I was super impressed. Florida is getting a good one. While it seemed a little silly to bring her to an NAIA college showcase considering she was already committed to a D1 P5 school, I was glad DD got to face her. Don't shy away from the best.

It is what it is. DD met with a team this week and has agreed to be an assistant coach/mentor in exchange for playing time. Its not the competition level she is used to, but its fine. Its low pressure. The coach is also a ASA/USA HoF'er so she is getting mentored herself by a good coach. A resume builder for sure. She will enjoy it.

Apr 12, 2019
I understand the language of course. The logic misses with me. In 16 and 18U there are already college committed kids. You just excluded those kids from what you are looking at. Doesn't seem that hard.

I also don't care that dominant age appropriate kids are still playing. I wouldn't want it 'dumbed down' for the non-committed kids, but thats me.

I think I mentioned this once before but my DD played in a showcase hosted by a NAIA school. Another team also playing that showcase brought a guest pitcher that was the FloSoftball #1 ranked player in the country for her age. She was as good as everyone said she was. I was super impressed. Florida is getting a good one. While it seemed a little silly to bring her to an NAIA college showcase considering she was already committed to a D1 P5 school, I was glad DD got to face her. Don't shy away from the best.

It is what it is. DD met with a team this week and has agreed to be an assistant coach/mentor in exchange for playing time. Its not the competition level she is used to, but its fine. Its low pressure. The coach is also a ASA/USA HoF'er so she is getting mentored herself by a good coach. A resume builder for sure. She will enjoy it.
That FloSoftball #1 ranked player is also playing for Team USA U18 correct? Generational talent...

Feb 15, 2017
I wonder if more summer leagues like the one in FL will pop up. How well does that draw (fan wise)? Cape League baseball is cool as heck but part of what makes it cool is how many pro scouts are there watching which wouldn’t be true for softball (unfortunately) summer leagues.
From what I have seen attendance has been sparse. Haven't been to a weekend game though. Tbe good thing is you can be about two feet from the dugout and hear the girls talking and what they talk about. Also the bleachers are very close to the field so you can get an appreciation for the level of play. Saw team Mexico play the Circus and it was a three inning affair and then they let the Circus bat six outs to get some practice in.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812