College Camps/Climics

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
DD's team got invited to an OU team camp in a few weeks. 3 days, 100 bucks a kid for some reps and 4 guaranteed games against good competition. She isn't going to be able to play for OU but it is basically a small tournament where they get to play a game or two on Marita Hynes and she will get used to performing in front of college coaches so it is worth it in my book. That said I am not expecting Grace Lyons to teach my kid how to field..
Sounds like a fun experience to me!

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
DD's team got invited to an OU team camp in a few weeks. 3 days, 100 bucks a kid for some reps and 4 guaranteed games against good competition. She isn't going to be able to play for OU but it is basically a small tournament where they get to play a game or two on Marita Hynes and she will get used to performing in front of college coaches so it is worth it in my book. That said I am not expecting Grace Lyons to teach my kid how to field..

That looks like a good deal. You might be surprised about who does instruct your kid. You might want to hang around with a camera.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
There is nothing magical about a camp vs a practice. Some of the camps DD attended ended up getting some good reps. That is all.

Your job as camper is to be coachable and to ball out.

School camps Strategery.
  • Are any of the coaches (multi school camp) on your list?
  • You better have been doing some type of communication with any of these coaches prior to the camp
  • Play lights out-Your mantra should be "Line Drives and Dives!"
  • Be at the front of the line.
  • Be vocal-Cheer on the other campers and use their names.
  • Get uncomfortable if this is your first couple of camps--It gets easier the more you attend.
  • jog station to station--No walking!!!
  • Be first to pick up balls
  • Chat up all the coaches and players if there
  • Ask questions
  • Good idea for TB coach to reach out to coach to let them know player is coming.
  • Better idea for TB coach to get feedback
  • Be memorable!!!
There are more. If you have more input, feel free to add to this list.

Great advice. For older players, a college "camp" is a thinly veiled tryout. You might get a useful pointer, but any direct interaction from the coaches is to see whether you're someone they'd want to have around. It's not all about how hard you hit the ball or performed on defense; be engaging, ask good questions, and treat every AB and fielding chance like it was the final out of the WCWS. Be someone the coaches talk about (in a good way) after everyone has left...and they do talk.

Dec 19, 2021
Agree not many will learn anything beyond what a practice with a good coach would provide. Although for younger players there is value in just going and getting comfortable and realizing they belong out there. All of the camps DD went to were to get noticed by a school she had already communicated to.

One of the camps DD went to, the coach talked to the group (40 or so) for a half hour at the end about recruiting. About the camps he said "you need to get noticed". He wanted them to do something that would catch his eye. He pointed to a girl that in the scrimmage hit the ball over the 30' net behind the outfield fence. He pointed that out as something that caught his attention!

The best camp for us was one organized by DDs org that had a dozen or so college coaches paid to run the camp. Lots of close, personal instruction and interaction with the 50ish players. Lots of interest was generated as a result.

May 24, 2021
Has anyone found a place that will show when camps will be open for registration? Ryzer shows the dates of the camps, but I find myself having to check the indiviaul websites everyday to see when it opens up

Feb 1, 2022
Has anyone found a place that will show when camps will be open for registration? Ryzer shows the dates of the camps, but I find myself having to check the indiviaul websites everyday to see when it opens up

I'd suggest following schools your DD is interested on Twitter. They usually tweet out upcoming camps.

Dec 6, 2019
Ryzer is the closest thing I've found for that. It's search functionality is very poor and it is becoming more and more polluted with commercial camps, but still has the most useful info in one central place.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
re.todd22