College Camp Catchers

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
This part kills me... "It cannot be a catcher attending the catching session at camp"

What Travel Ball catcher is going to want to take the time to travel to an out of town camp, and NOT attend the catching session?

Things you can try....

1. If you are part of a national org, reach out to teams that are local to the camp, offer to pay for a catcher. If you are not part of a national org, most have list of teams by state. Start shooting emails out to the coaches.
2. Ask here on the forum, to see if anyone is local (or knows someone local to the camp) that might be willing to catch.
3. Here in GA there is a forum where teams post about tryouts and or needing Pick up players. I'm guessing there is a similar forum in most states. Find the equivalent for the state you are traveling to, and post for a catcher (offer to pay for their time).
That's a great idea. We do have a softball friend of my daughter whose family moved to Myrtle Beach in 2021. She still plays softball, so maybe they have a teammate who can catch for my daughter.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
What's ridiculous is because the upper level talented pitchers need someone who can catch who can handle upper level Talent... why would you not put trained catchers together with pitchers??
( unless they're not really evaluating prospective Talent)
*** makes me question the goal of the camp. Doesn't seem like a prospect camp where there evaluating skills Talent together, because pitchers and catchers are a battery that work together.

That and extra cost to bring in another catcher when obviously they already have catchers attending just at a separate session.

Seems there request limits the talent level 🤷‍♀️ and ads predicament and cost to the situation. Bizarre!

Last edited:

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
What's ridiculous is because the upper level talented pitchers need someone who can catch who can handle upper level Talent... why would you not put trained catchers together with pitchers??
( unless they're not really evaluating prospective Talent)
*** makes me question the goal of the camp. Doesn't seem like a prospect camp where there evaluating skills Talent together, because pitchers and catchers are a battery that work together.

That and extra cost to bring in another catcher when obviously they already have catchers attending just at a separate session.

Seems there request limits the talent level 🤷‍♀️ and ads predicament and cost to the situation. Bizarre!
I suspect different schools have different budgets. Smaller staffs mean they can't have as many eyes watching everyone as a larger school would.

Florida and Mizzou had the catchers work with the pitchers for parts of the camp, but other parts had just the pitchers working with each other. Catchers have their own things to work on that don't involve pitcher evaluations, so I would guess they need more time than just receiving for the pitcher session. As a former catcher, would you not agree that coaches want to see the catchers block and throw in addition to how they receive? I wouldn't think they need the pitcher for that.

As much as it might stink to catch for her, I will gladly do anything for my daughter.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
I suspect different schools have different budgets. Smaller staffs mean they can't have as many eyes watching everyone as a larger school would.
Less budget Less coaching staff
imo = evaluate at the same time.
Evaluate at the same time can also be time efficient.

Florida and Mizzou had the catchers work with the pitchers for parts of the camp, but other parts had just the pitchers working with each other. Catchers have their own things to work on that don't involve pitcher evaluations, so I would guess they need more time than just receiving for the pitcher session. As a former catcher, would you not agree that coaches want to see the catchers block and throw in addition to how they receive? I wouldn't think they need the pitcher for that.

As much as it might stink to catch for her, I will gladly do anything for my daughter.
It is more difficult to catch for the unexpected. In that regard the unexpected is where we get to see Talent shine!

Another way to say that is if its announced 'we're going to work on our blocking or dirt pitch recovery now'
And start throwing pitches in the dirt repeatedly is MUCH easier to replicate mechanical function.
* because catcher knows before the pitch is coming what their going to do.
Then to have an in the moment reaction needing various mechanical maneuvers like a pitch that's up in the air versus down in the dirt.

For those reasonings if I were to really be looking at a prospect I want them reacting to live pitching with various things flying at them.
How they handle the unexpected!

As to throw Downs certainly times they take a look at a catchers pop time and throw without a batter. But it is far more accurate to do that with a batter and runners.
Which I know I've had catchers go to camps where no Runners were stealing so catchers were throwing backpicks just to display their abilities.
And it has happened where a different Talent level is playing the infield than is the catcher and the catcher is blowing away the infielders. (meaning the infielders weren't prepared for the throws efficiency.)

Camps are difficult because they have varying ages and talent levels.

Last edited:

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Because we know that probably every College holds camps simply to make money it is hard to determine what the camp is going to have in it and why.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Going to throw this out there that there are probably pitchers who don't want their parents out there with them 🤷‍♀️

And others who are more comfortable because their parent is out there 🤷‍♀️

Either way I think it's strange to have parents out on the field. Unless it's an instructional camp for younger youth.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Yep see that. Bring catcher.
Doesn't say bring parent LOL 😆

If your a catcher...
Do you have to bring your own pitcher LOL🤣

Have never been to a college camp where they weren't able to utilize the catcher's attending. Usually when they are assessing catchers they want to see them with pitchers

Hmmm...could be difference between some camps that are just teaching camps versus real prospective showcase camps 🤷‍♀️.
Just saying some camps are for younger kids. That's the only time I'd imagine a parent being on the field.
I have only been to a few but everytime there were more pitchers than catchers. Pitcher's dad from our TB team try to contact camp director to ask if they should bring a catcher. Crickets, no response. My Dd was more than willing to go catch for her. 8 pitchers and 6 catchers and a couple of the catchers were young (suppose to be 14 and older)and out matched. Camp directors need to get better organized. This is how camps get labeled money grabs. The latest camp I am referring to, to their credit was 9 am til 4 pm with lunch and tee shirt included.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
I have only been to a few but everytime there were more pitchers than catchers. Pitcher's dad from our TB team try to contact camp director to ask if they should bring a catcher. Crickets, no response. My Dd was more than willing to go catch for her. 8 pitchers and 6 catchers and a couple of the catchers were young (suppose to be 14 and older)and out matched. Camp directors need to get better organized. This is how camps get labeled money grabs. The latest camp I am referring to, to their credit was 9 am til 4 pm with lunch and tee shirt included.
The one I'm going to has two hours of pitching, three hours of hitting, and four hours of scrimmages the next day. And we get a shirt too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802