College Camp Catchers

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 14, 2018
We’re currently reviewing a few options for prospect camps over this winter. For pitching sessions, many say that you must bring your own catcher.

Do camps expect an actual catcher in gear, or do they just need a parent on a bucket for the pitcher to throw to?

If it’s the former, and you’ve been through this, what’s the etiquette? Should I pay for the catcher’s attendance? Hotel room? Finding a catcher who is targeting the same school (making the trip worthwhile) is a tall order.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
If folks are needing a catcher attending camps in California can contact me. Additionally pending the camp out of the area/state might have a catcher attending the camp also. Can PM if interested.

Last edited:
May 27, 2013
We’re currently reviewing a few options for prospect camps over this winter. For pitching sessions, many say that you must bring your own catcher.

Do camps expect an actual catcher in gear, or do they just need a parent on a bucket for the pitcher to throw to?

If it’s the former, and you’ve been through this, what’s the etiquette? Should I pay for the catcher’s attendance? Hotel room? Finding a catcher who is targeting the same school (making the trip worthwhile) is a tall order.

I typically would just catch dd myself when the camp said this. I wore shin guards and a mask and I caught her in a catcher’s stance; however, I saw other parents just sitting on buckets as well. If you are going to catch her I’d encourage you to at least bring a facemask as some camps might require them in order to catch (liability reasons).

When I was able to bring a catcher for dd I drove the catcher myself and paid for her meals - both times they were a teammate. They were day trips only.

If the catcher is only going to catch for your dd and not partake in the camp then there typically is no additional cost.

Nov 23, 2021
SC
If this is a college camp that your DD is interested in playing for are you going to be able to catch those borderline pitches and make her look good? what about those balls at the ankles, are you bailing or going to hang in there? does your DD have confidence in you catching when she goes all out?

May 7, 2015
SoCal

Absolutely, mandate that the pitchers bring a catcher. If there are pitchers that show up without one, then they can rotate thru with the existing catchers. However, it drags on the session time with pitchers just standing around.

Um, I personally don't think that a parent should be receiving pitches for a college prospect camp... Seems dodgy.

Aug 21, 2008
While coaching in college, and as a guest at some college camps, there were a lot of parents who caught for their kid. Getting a catcher is incredibly hard. Many do their catching lessons and hitting practice but rarely work with their pitchers during THEIR practice. It's a shame because the catcher can learn so much about how to help a struggling pitcher if they came to their practice but, I also understand that's additional time the catcher's parents have to set aside for that too. At some point it gets to be too much, as much as it is beneficial too. I would never suggest going to a pitching lesson to catch instead of going to see a catching coach like RAD but, the fact it rarely enters their minds to do this is astounding to me.

Anyway, camps will usually let you bring a kid as a catcher and not pay the fee. Afterall, the kid is coming to catch only, not to participate in the actual camp. In the first 5 minutes, coaches zero in on the pitchers they see with the most potential and they spend the majority of the time with that kid(s). Sorry, it's just the reality. A good coach can see the pitcher, their mechanics and the pitch without worrying if the catcher catches it. Yes, it's helpful to have someone who can catch it!!! But, it's not an absolute. I can see a kid throw a riseball that the catcher misses and realize the pitch would be caught by a next level catcher. And I've also seen it where the CATCHER, who didn't even pay to be there, is noticed by the coaches and they start letting her participate in the camp without charge because they see a diamond in the rough.

Also, if you're a parent and you wanna catch... GEAR UP!!! This isn't a pitching lesson. College use camps as a way to make money and they're usually going to have as many kids as they can to maximize the money. Keep in mind, I'm talking about open camps, not the select camps where a school only invites 5 pitchers or something. For the open camps, you can have 20 pitchers all throwing in the same direction on 1/2 of a basketball court. For the catchers: it turns into dodge ball as several of the pitchers will be WILD! This is due to both nerves and sometimes just not being very good with control! Wearing gear will save you from some, not all, injuries from wild throws. So, my advice parents... practice by dodging wrenches. "If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball" - Patches O'Houlahan and never forget the five D's of Dodgeball: Dodge, duck, dip, dive and dodge. (sorry for the obligitory movie reference).

May 27, 2013
If this is a college camp that your DD is interested in playing for are you going to be able to catch those borderline pitches and make her look good? what about those balls at the ankles, are you bailing or going to hang in there? does your DD have confidence in you catching when she goes all out?

I would hope that the parent willing to do the catching has been catching a lot for their dd all along during lessons and individual work. Got to be honest, I knew DD’s pitches best, how they would move, and how best to set up to catch her different pitches. I also could give her a quick hand signal or whisper something to her that would help her to make an adjustment if something seemed off. Then again, I went to every lesson and caught her there - and made it a point to not sit on a bucket so it was like she was throwing to her catcher in games.

And like Bill mentioned - at some of these camps you will be a few feet away from the other pitcher/catcher - I did have to dodge a few balls now and again - especially the ones that hit off the wall behind me!

Jul 14, 2018
Great responses, thanks to all. I could definitely get a teammate to come to a nearby camp for a few hours, but the logistics of getting someone to come where an overnight stay is required had me stumped.

I catch DD at her lessons for similar reasons — they’re an hour+ away and it’s tough to ask a HS kid to take that kind of chunk out of their day. And I’ll be honest: I do love the time we get to spend together.

I’m certain that a legit catcher would make her look better than I do, but I also wanted to know that I wouldn’t be the only bucket dad intruding on an evaluation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802