Coaching difficult players U14

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
Hey coach, these girls are not buying what you are selling, right? They aren't seeing the connection between learning things the way you are teaching them and whatever their goals are (or they think they are). You need some reinforcements, not because what you are teaching is wrong/bad but because the team isn't hearing it. A couple of options, typically. You can try to find some coaches and/or former players who can get that buy-in. What I like better is bringing in better players to practice and forcing them to keep up or be embarrassed/left behind. Maybe you have a girl or two on your high school team or the org's more A-level teams who could join and lead example. At some point being showed up in drills becomes an incentive to learn to do them rihgt.

I'd also tell them (AND their parents) this: most teams practice roughly the same amount of time. It's what you do with that time that matters. Spend it not learning the best techniques or reinforcing bad ones and you'll end up getting your butts kicked in games and (for some reason) not getting playing time on your high school team. If you are going to spend time practicing, do it right. Pretty simple.
If you read or re-read the OP, the problem was the lack of effort.

NBECoach

Learning everyday
Aug 9, 2018
I look at this team as at a crossroads. It may be the 2nd year at U14 for some but there are 8 (currently) new players most of which are 1st year U14. The HC is brand new to coaching, so to me this is a 1st year 14U class C team. The HC has chosen to play in 6 tournaments 3 of which are C, 2 are B/C and 1 B. In addition they will play a 6 week league schedule VS. mostly other C teams. Will they get better? One would think so, but it requires commitment to the things they had no interest in - Fundamentals.

When I look at these players or any player for example, I look at the current skill set (fielding, throwing, speed, hitting, hitting for power) the desire to get better, and try to project where they may need some help. From that I project the minimum and maximum abilities of the player and where they may have the greatest impact. Sure, there are surprises, I don't claim to be perfect. But the kids I have missed on (I admit I am a tough grader) have nearly all been better than I projected,(I also try harder to help them), and good for them.

I look at this team as at a crossroads. It may be the 2nd year at U14 for some but there are 8 (currently) new players most of which are 1st year U14. The HC is brand new to coaching, so to me this is a 1st year 14U class C team. The HC has chosen to play in 6 tournaments 3 of which are C, 2 are B/C and 1 B. In addition they will play a 6 week league schedule VS. mostly other C teams. Will they get better? One would think so, but it requires commitment to the things they had no interest in - Fundamentals.

When I look at these players or any player for example, I look at the current skill set (fielding, throwing, speed, hitting, hitting for power) the desire to get better, and try to project where they may need some help. From that I project the minimum and maximum abilities of the player and where they may have the greatest impact. Sure, there are surprises, I don't claim to be perfect. But the kids I have missed on (I admit I am a tough grader) have nearly all been better than I projected,(I also try harder to help them), and good for them.
Hopefully things work out. Will it be a bumpy ride and make you wanna pull your hair out absolutely. People and parents with kids on your team that haven't been around the game don't understand how hard it is to coach. You 13 different personalities, attitudes, knowing which kids can take being hollered at when the situation calls for it without having a total breakdown, 13 sets of parents that think there DD should be the pitcher or the SS and hitting leadoff. In the end all you can hope for is progressing every practice and game and not digressing. Us as coaches will more often than not put alot on the plates of the better players. As they go the team goes and maybe the lesser players can see what they are doing that makes them good players and take it upon themselves to get better and be a positive contributer to the team. In the end all you can hope for is that you as coaches coached them up to the best of your abilities win or lose.

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
How many C players end up on a high school Team?

Why is a HS coach coaching the C Team vs. the team with potential HS players?

Why is a HS coach surprised about effort on a C team with 8 new players?

This is a weird thread.

NBECoach

Learning everyday
Aug 9, 2018
How many C players end up on a high school Team?

Why is a HS coach coaching the C Team vs. the team with potential HS players?

Why is a HS coach surprised about effort on a C team with 8 new players?

This is a weird thread.
Depends on who tries out.

Read the OP again. Instructing at the HC request. Not coaching,

Defer to the HC.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478