Coaches seeking a new home?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 1, 2014
USA
Open ended question - what's the most common method for a college level coach to learn about an opening? Favorite or most visited website that posts these positions? Word of mouth?

Also, when is the best time for a Coach to seek a new position or to make such a change?

I'm curious about the process and would love to hear from someone who is in the know or has actual experience with this. Thx!

Jun 20, 2015
usually, colleges get rid of coaches at the end of their seasons, so that May / June timeframe is prime for jobs to come open.

Other than that, I'd have to guess word of mouth and networking. Reputation as an assistant might open some doors as well.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Apart from networking and local/industry knowledge; most job openings are also posted on the NFCA site which I would consider the most common public forum:

Little quiet now since the high hiring seasons over (i.e. June though early Sept)

Also, a surprisingly large number are posted in Indeed/ZipRecruiter and even LinkedIn because often they are required to follow the university's hiring practices which often require they be posted publically.

Power5/high-profile roles often are driven by agents or through an agency process.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2014
USA
Thx, that's pretty much what I thought but was curious as to any other approaches that might be at play in this sport.

It would seem that a good Athletic Director would be on top of all of this and be proactive...but then again not everything is always as it seems out there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802