Coach Signaling We Should Resign?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 4, 2018
I know she won't be the only pitcher, and to win tournaments we need at least one more. Maybe I am just getting frustrated with the outcomes of our games more so than anything else.

My DD sat on the bench (she batted) an entire 5 inning game on Saturday and I was pretty upset. I totally get it. :)

Last edited:

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
Similar situation for us here only we are on a 10U. HC says DD is the ace. She pitched 2 innings in our elimination game this weekend. 7 K's 1 Walk, 2 Hits. Pulled in the 3rd for a sub so the other team would see a "different" look. DW is ready to move on. HC is still actively seeking another P. Team has DD, a permanent sub, and 1 more on the team. I am trying to stay loyal to the team we picked, but she constantly gets undercut like that.

I feel your pain!

Did your team have a big lead? Did she play another position during the game? Did the team win, or did the relief pitcher blow it? Did your DD pitch again in a subsequent game?

I wouldn't have pulled her based on what you say, but there's lots of missing info here. 10U is a screwy age. Many coaches don't know what they're doing (yet), and parents don't know what they're looking at (yet).

Feb 22, 2021
Did your team have a big lead? Did she play another position during the game? Did the team win, or did the relief pitcher blow it? Did your DD pitch again in a subsequent game?

I wouldn't have pulled her based on what you say, but there's lots of missing info here. 10U is a screwy age. Many coaches don't know what they're doing (yet), and parents don't know what they're looking at (yet).
We were down 2-0 at that point in the game. Ended up losing 8-0. She sat the bench after she was pulled.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
We were down 2-0 at that point in the game. Ended up losing 8-0. She sat the bench after she was pulled.

Your DD gave up 2 hits, and 1 walk, and you were down 2-0? This sounds a lot like the problem is not with what's happening in the circle. At 10U, this is pretty common, though.

In my experience, parents tend to look at decisions only through the eyes of their DD, and have trouble seeing the bigger picture of what is best for the team, how decisions in the current game will affect the next game, etc. This is especially true at younger ages. That said, there are a lot of coaches who make head-scratching player decisions...especially at younger ages.

Something to keep in mind...How your DD gets used in 1 game of 1 tournament does not necessarily mean that's how it's going to be every time in the future. I've seen parents hissy-quit teams over playing time based on 1 game in the team's first tournament. Last week, I had to talk a parent off the ledge in that same situation (16U).

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2015
10u it's all about development and learning all facets of the game. players should be playing multiple positions, multiple games etc.

And parents need to learn patience. It's not about how many $.50 trophies Sally's team wins.

Feb 22, 2021
Your DD gave up 2 hits, and 1 walk, and you were down 2-0? This sounds a lot like the problem is not with what's happening in the circle. At 10U, this is pretty common, though.
lol. Welcome to my frustration zone. We constantly have to get 5 to 6 outs per inning.... Suppose to be a "B" team. I just keep telling her we have to work harder in practice.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
lol. Welcome to my frustration zone. We constantly have to get 5 to 6 outs per inning.... Suppose to be a "B" team. I just keep telling her we have to work harder in practice.

You are not alone, and you're not the first person to experience this. My DD's 16U team still has those moments. Take comfort in the fact that young players will get better with experience and age, and those moments won't happen as much.

Aug 1, 2019
MN
I caught that when you listed 7 k's in 2 innings. :) It is a roller coaster ride; thrilling, sometimes nauseating, but it can also be painful to get off too early.

Jul 14, 2018
Similar situation for us here only we are on a 10U. HC says DD is the ace. She pitched 2 innings in our elimination game this weekend. 7 K's 1 Walk, 2 Hits.

Seven K’s in two innings sounds like part of your problem. Your DD is playing on a development-level team, facing similar opponents. The coach is doing the right thing by rotating pitchers, regardless of the game’s outcome. That’s just the level you’re playing at.

Further, your DD was down 2-0 in a game they lost 8-0. It could be that your coach recognized that his/her team was not going to be scoring any runs, why not give the other pitcher some circle time?

10U can be a tough balance between trying to win games, encouraging development, and keeping all the players and parents happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28