Coach Rant

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
What should we do? OK so our team's manager is usually pretty good but I am starting to think that he is only considered good because the team wins.

So we are in a tourney and he completely drops the ball on how to use his pitchers. He completely over uses his most effective pitcher rendering this pitcher completely ineffective for the championship game.

He pulls his starter who is doing great only half way through the game and puts in another pitcher who never comes in the middle of a game, boom 2 runs score. Ok so pitcher #2 gets on track and gets in a groove, and the manager pulls pitcher 2 to put in the pitcher he
Completely overused, totally ineffective and next thing you know tie game.

Meanwhile he yanks his starting catcher and puts in the #2 catcher and by the end of the championship game the #3 catcher we just brought in from a lower level team in our org is behind the plate.

I'm starting to think this manager is an idiot who is just lucky.

May 17, 2012
How much value do coaches bring on game day? In other words if your team goes 5-2 in a tournament what would the team have done if the coaching staff hadn't shown up? Would they have gone, 1-6, 7-0?

Most coaches overstate their importance on game day. A coach brings value by implementing his system or vision in practice. Players play the game and ultimately determine the outcome by a large percentage (compared to the coaches influence).

If I coach in 40 games this summer I will only influence a handful of games positively assuming I make all of the right moves.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Softball can be interesting.

Why even bother coaching if you can recruit players that someone else has already trained and our taking lessons.

I will be right back going to get hot dog.

Aug 26, 2011
Houston, Texas
What should we do? OK so our team's manager is usually pretty good but I am starting to think that he is only considered good because the team wins.

So we are in a tourney and he completely drops the ball on how to use his pitchers. He completely over uses his most effective pitcher rendering this pitcher completely ineffective for the championship game.

He pulls his starter who is doing great only half way through the game and puts in another pitcher who never comes in the middle of a game, boom 2 runs score. Ok so pitcher #2 gets on track and gets in a groove, and the manager pulls pitcher 2 to put in the pitcher he

Meanwhile he yanks his starting catcher and puts in the #2 catcher and by the end of the championship game the #3 catcher we just brought in from a lower level team in our org is behind the plate.

Totally thought you were talking about the Cubs game last night. LOL! No advice to offer...just commiseration.

Apr 8, 2013

When you fist bump Joe Maddon make sure you don't get a cut on your knuckles from his World Series Champs ring.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802