Coach hit by warm up swing knocked unconscious

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...
ROBINSON, Texas (KWTX) A little league softball coach was knocked out when a player accidently hit her in the head with an aluminum bat while practicing her swing during a softball game in Robinson.

The accident happened at Youngblood Park in Robinson around 8:30 p.m. during a softball game between 11 and 12-year-old girls.

The coach, said to be in her 30’s, was walking beside on of the players who was warming up on deck when the coach was hit in the back of the head as the player swung the bat forward at full force.

Eye witnesses said the blow knocked the coach unconscious as emergency crews were called to the scene.

Robinson Police, Robinson Fire and Rescue as well as EMS responded to the scene.

The coach was able to gain consciousness but was unable to tell first responders where she was.

She was taken to a local hospital where her condition is not known.

The softball game was cancelled.

Aug 26, 2011
Houston, Texas
Hard hats should be worn if on field at any time (except defense). Have a player who has a massive bat swing span...the girls knew this about this player, during warm ups before game, they tried to space the stations far enough apart. Unfortunately for one girl, it wasn't far enough and she got smacked right on forehead. Had a concussion and was out for at least 3-4 weeks from softball activities (they would not clear her even though doctor cleared her...she had to pass the school's concussion test?). This same girl almost did it again when she popped out and started to run back to dugout...almost walked right into the on-deck batter's swing. Geesh.

Oct 13, 2014
Metro ATL
I shudder as I remember my earliest days of softball. I played 3rd base on a rec league. (I think I must have been in 3rd or 4th grade). I went to get a foul ball and yelled "I got it" as there was a girl in the on deck circle. (on the third base side). The next thing I remember is coming to on the ground and a serious pain in my rib cage. Yep - girl did not move from on deck circle and I didn't stop to check my surroundings, rather just focused on the ball.....

I cannot remember a single play from that season, but I remember that. :rolleyes:

Feb 17, 2014
I shudder as I remember my earliest days of softball. I played 3rd base on a rec league. (I think I must have been in 3rd or 4th grade). I went to get a foul ball and yelled "I got it" as there was a girl in the on deck circle. (on the third base side). The next thing I remember is coming to on the ground and a serious pain in my rib cage. Yep - girl did not move from on deck circle and I didn't stop to check my surroundings, rather just focused on the ball.....

I cannot remember a single play from that season, but I remember that. :rolleyes:

I hope they called the batter out. :D

MTR

Jun 22, 2008

While everyone should be aware of their surroundings, I have often seen batters and ODB (adult & youth) take multiple practice swings with no consideration of those around them.

This is one reason why an umpire (when going to a partner for a check swing) should always step clear of the batters when asking for help. The umpires who like to step between the catcher and batter or out across the plate are taking an unnecessary risk. At the college and some HS level, it may not be too bad, but others it can be dangerous.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dd2k13