Coach, do your pitchers wear masks?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 22, 2021
Sioux Falls, SD
Eyeglass wearing kids can't do that, unless they get prescription sunglasses. Both my girls have had transition lenses and they aren't all that great in direct sunlight. Neither of them has ever mentioned much about sun issues, but they don't play 1B. I was scared to death sometimes in my teenage 1B days.
Shree dollah clip ons yo!

Jun 8, 2016
The baseball one I am sure of as a high-end number. Not sure if 80 is higher than anything a female can produce. I am pretty sure Alo was at least mid 70’s regularly

Apr 14, 2022
The baseball one I am sure of as a high-end number. Not sure if 80 is higher than anything a female can produce. I am pretty sure Alo was at least mid 70’s regularly
I looked it up. Found 85mph as top end. Equates to 127 mph 122- 123 is about top in baseball. College average around 70 equate to 104. College baseball average is around 100. Almost every way you slice it softball is slightly less reaction time.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Not sure that I'm understanding your math and logic here.

From release to crossing home plate, SB is quicker for the younger divisions, BB and SB are pretty much even for 18u and HS baseball. but quicker for baseball when speeds are 90+

Exit velos are significantly higher in baseball from 13yo and up. The pitcher in baseball has less time to react.

Anyway, back to that math you've got going on there. SB is no where near .3 seconds. .3 sec flight time for 38ft (assuming a SB pitcher throwing gas has a 5 ft stride) is an 86.4mph fastball.. More realistic times are .41sec. For younger divisions, both baseball and softball are about .5-.6 secs.

I also don't understand the 30% less time to react, there's not a 30% difference in flight time from pitcher to hitter and hitter to pitcher.. How can there be 30% less time???

Same with being closer and 3-4 times more likely to get hit??
Really? We are worried about the math? Put on a mask, don't be stupid!

Oct 14, 2019
If you’re going to use a freak accident like Elisha’s to justify mandating masks every player on the field and in the dugout should wear one. That had nothing to do with her position.
How is it a freak accident? Pitcher is between home plate and 2B.

Nov 18, 2013
How is it a freak accident? Pitcher is between home plate and 2B.
It didn’t have anything to do with pitching, hot bats or having time to field a hard liner. Anybody on the field has a chance to get hit by an errant throw or get in the way of a throw. She was simply in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee