Choose based on organization or team?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 27, 2018
My daughter is a rising jr. She got offered a spot with a lesser known organization but the guy gets kids recruited. He seems to have a relationship with regional DII schools. In recent years he got kids into schools at all levels, including D1. She has a tryout tomorrow with the big name super duper elite club. My gut is telling me to have her accept the lesser known club and play, since she’s only interested in regional schools anyway. I think she’s thinking the same. Also none of the coaches have kids on the team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2017
Madison, WI
My daughter is a rising jr. She got offered a spot with a lesser known organization but the guy gets kids recruited. He seems to have a relationship with regional DII schools. In recent years he got kids into schools at all levels, including D1. She has a tryout tomorrow with the big name super duper elite club. My gut is telling me to have her accept the lesser known club and play, since she’s only interested in regional schools anyway. I think she’s thinking the same. Also none of the coaches have kids on the team.

Hi GoRight -

What did you and DD decide here? Your situation seems very similar to ours, although my DD is a bit younger and ended up selecting "super duper elite club".

Jun 27, 2018
We went with the lesser known club. They have recruited 11 to college over the last three years. Based on the schools she’s targeting, I figured this would be a good move. She should be a main contributor on this team. My only concern is they are only doing 2 big name showcases. The others are smaller. We shall see if it was the right choice.

Apr 28, 2019
When determining where to play for next season, do you always choose based on the brand/reputation of the organization rather than the dynamics of the individual team? My DD is entering first year 14U and has offers to play for two national organizations based out of the Midwest. Both are well-respected, with org 1 without question more highly regarded than org 2. Org 1 is a complete disaster when it comes to communication (do not know who the coach will be and only a couple of the players), while org 2 is completely clear on tournament schedule, fees, and where DD fits into both the team and organization's plans. Both teams will likely play virtually identical national schedules that include all of the most prominent events. We know that org 2's team will be very competitive even at a national level; org 1, who knows?

Org 1 is making the claim that going with org 2 will greatly limit DD's ability to be recruited, and that we are crazy to turn down an offer to play on their top team. My gut is telling me to go with org 2 and that the rocky start with org 1 is a sign of more trouble to come. DD also prefers org 2 but if afraid that doing so will prevent her from reaching her goals. I know there are many factors that go into this decision, but how much truth is there to where she plays when she is 13 will define (or limit) her opportunities going forward?

Thanks...Jules
I just went through this. New local team 20 minute drive to practice. Long time coach. Certified Mike Epstein hitting instructor, coached under Ralph Raymond who coached Team USA in the past.
Team already had 6 players before tryouts started. Some nice talent at open tryout but of the girls offered including my daughter nobody bit on the offer.
I was waiting for another tryout with well established/well respected organization and also to see who signed.
I also sent the coach another girl he liked and made an offer to.
After tryout with well known org my mind was made up. They really put the girls through a vigorous workout and explained what they were looking for and how to correct/improve certain details they viewed. They also have three young ladies that recently graduated from D-1 schools that are going to assist with training and mentor the girls.
It all sounds pretty good right? The issue is a two hr drive to NY for practices. The coach agreed to come to us once a week also for training at a facility of our choice. And they have free weekly team pitching lessons.
The tuition is double what the local team was and the travel is not really welcomed but just feels like the best choice by far.
Talked with daughter and to her credit she realizes the difference and wants to be challenged and constantly improve
The local coach contacted me and asked me to help build the team and coach. I would have liked that but I felt I would be holding my daughter back to some degree.
Anyway worked it out we will be joining BIG name org and guesting for local team if schedules sync-up.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28