Check of count. What should happen?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 26, 2019
what should have happened in this situation?
Two outs, one one count by everyone’s recollection on our team. Stolen base, error, error, base runner comes across the plate, ump says batter struck out, run doesn’t count, inning over. Our dugout has a score book showing a 1-1 count before the stolen base attempt. Ump says struck out. Our coach asks their coach what he had for a count, coach says he doesn’t remember. Never produces a scorebook, his daughters are pitching and catching but he doesn’t remember the count. If the count was questioned shouldnt both books have been checked.
I am 99% sure blue forgot to reset her clicker from the previous batter, not that it really matters, nor had any influence on outcome of the game.

May 10, 2021
I may have asked the umpire if he/she would ask his partner for help just to make sure the count was correct. We want to make sure the right call is made....something nice like that.

Probably nothing happens; especially if we are changing sides or the end of game. It is a cruel game.

I have never asked the book for a count before.....maybe others have. I have asked my partner for help with the count though if there was an inquiry.

Jun 26, 2019
I may have asked the umpire if he/she would ask his partner for help just to make sure the count was correct. We want to make sure the right call is made....something nice like that.

Probably nothing happens; especially if we are changing sides or the end of game. It is a cruel game.

I have never asked the book for a count before.....maybe others have. I have asked my partner for help with the count though if there was an inquiry.

none of our 12u games have more than 1 ump. That would have been best

Mar 1, 2013
All you can really do is ask him to check with his partner. Umpires in general want to get the call right. If he's working solo nothing to do there but move on.

Jun 11, 2013
Everywhere we every played the Home book was "official" unless you could show otherwise. Pretty weak of the coach to say "I don't remember" I'll give him the benefit of the doubt that he really didn't know but then ask your scorekeeper. Now if the umpire was just "sure" they were right there is nothing you can do.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
An umpire who does not have a partner umpire on the field should absolutely be utilizing the score keepers book if needed, especially in an awkward moment.
That said
Even a gaggle of umpires trying to figure out who has the correct count
Should utilize scorebooks as resources.

Last edited:
May 29, 2015
As an ump who does occasionally forget the count ... I would never ask the book for anything other than the score — the only thing I don’t typically keep.

The home book is the “official book” for stats — that does not make them an official. They are team personnel, and borderline at that. Same goes for the scoreboard operator.

When you pay one ump, you get one ump.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
As an ump who does occasionally forget the count ... I would never ask the book for anything other than the score — the only thing I don’t typically keep.

The home book is the “official book” for stats — that does not make them an official. They are team personnel, and borderline at that. Same goes for the scoreboard operator.

When you pay one ump, you get one ump.
Curious, why not use resources in an awkward moment?

Because of inconsistencies they may have?

Pay for one ump get one ump.
Vs
Pay for one ump, and give them some help.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2013

One of the fields I occasionally work has electronic scoreboards that the community sometimes uses on rec games. I was working a solo game a number of years ago and they consistently had the wrong count displayed on the board. Caused all kinds of confusion with people continually questioning the count from me. I started announcing the count after almost every pitch when I would notice it was wrong (it was in center field and huge - not hard to miss) and I would see it get corrected. I told the home coach between innings that they either needed to pay more attention upstairs or turn off the scoreboard. They eventually got with the program.

Jun 26, 2019
I guess I honestly Am suprised that others have two umps at games at lower age levels. In three seasons of our local league Between my two 10 and 12u girls I have never seen team umps in my life, not even the final game of the year end tournament.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fjhood