Cheating or Aggressive Base Running?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
But I do believe this is the way of youth sports, not just softball/baseball but all sports.

All sports, always, forever. It's not new. It's not specific to youth sports.

Any time there is a competition, people will look for ways to win that competition. Some will find legal shortcuts. Some cross the line morally/ethically, but maybe not in violation of rules. Some cheat outright.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
All sports, always, forever. It's not new. It's not specific to youth sports.

Any time there is a competition, people will look for ways to win that competition. Some will find legal shortcuts. Some cross the line morally/ethically, but maybe not in violation of rules. Some cheat outright.
'Some cross the line morally/ ethically but maybe not in violation of rules.'

'Some cheat outright.'

And this is where umpires have to look at more than one issue that might be on the field.

This video's discussion shows several issue's.
Base runner possibly leaving early, an appeal and a outright cheating moment.

We only saw a small clip of what happened in that game,
we do not know if the Umpire actually did go warn the coach about what had happened. 🤷‍♀️
That would have at least been some sort of repercussion.
To do nothing imo is failure.

May 27, 2013
My point was: the umpire CAN make that out call (leaving early) where what followed after had to be appealed. Correct?
Yes, I was totally agreeing with you. Me saying “good luck with that“ is spurred by the fact that I rarely ever saw umpires call leaving early, even when it was blatantly obvious (and there was a field umpire).

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Yes, I was totally agreeing with you. Me saying “good luck with that“ is spurred by the fact that I rarely ever saw umpires call leaving early, even when it was blatantly obvious (and there was a field umpire).
That's a good point about how rarely that gets called. Waiting for some sort of techno gear that would eyeball the release of the ball from the pitcher's hand at the same simultaneously the foot leaving the bag and that might be called by a robot instead of a human umpire. 🤷‍♀️

Jun 8, 2016
That's a good point about how rarely that gets called. Waiting for some sort of techno gear that would eyeball the release of the ball from the pitcher's hand at the same simultaneously the foot leaving the bag and that might be called by a robot instead of a human umpire. 🤷‍♀️
If it is wired to send a shock (when a violation occurs..or maybe when one doesn't..) to all the annoying parents in the stands I am all for it..

radness

Dec 13, 2019
If it is wired to send a shock (when a violation occurs..or maybe when one doesn't..) to all the annoying parents in the stands I am all for it..
So funny that would be something to come to a stadium where it says
'Stadium seats are wired with an electric shock system that will be activated at different frequencies pending your annoyance level.'

May 27, 2013

Yeah, and I get that most times it’s too close to call - but the times it was blatant, and mentioned to the field umpire when I coached, were absolutely shocking. We would go back and watch the video and the BR was several steps off the bag before the release.

Jan 8, 2019
Had a game where we were up by too many, and asked our runner on 3b to step off early. Got blue’s attention discretely to try to let him know. Next pitch was the only strike the poor pitcher had thrown in about 30 tries, our batter swings, R3 is at least halfway home when batter makes contact. Blue was so surprised by the change of events at the plate that he completely missed the leaving early call. ☹️

Mar 10, 2020
What's everyone's take on this sort of thing? Some think this is a heads up use of the rules. I think this is cheating and WILL NOT teach my girls to do this. I will, however, show them this video and teach them what to do about it.

I have no idea why the short stop wasn't screaming for the ball at third base.

Class C State Softball Game

Watch the runner that starts on second base. Rumor around here is, the coach told the original runner to do this and she refused so the coach subbed her out for one that would. I've coached against this coach for years with my older daughter's teams and this doesn't surprise me a bit.

The runner left early anyway so this should've been a dead ball with runner out at 2nd to begin with.

They lost the game, too!
Coach player team made a decision to get one extra run and give up all of their integrity.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802