cheap or beneficial?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
My first thoughts were negative toward it, but thinking outside the box, this could be a great idea.

If it makes the game more fun (and success is more fun than futility), then why not?

If you think about it, is it any different than coach pitch? The purpose of coach pitch is to postpone one of the most difficult parts of the game so that young players can learn quicker about other aspects of the game. In other words, coach pitch unlocks the door to critical parts of the game that otherwise could not be easily experienced. Perhaps ball-rolling at 6U does the same thing.

Apr 17, 2012
Wi
I was opposed until you said they were throwing the ball overhand into the dirt. Think about the throws of most beginners and kids that age, they are usually rainbows and not that accurate. by teaching them to throw into the dirt "down hill" if you will rather than throwing rainbows "up Hill" it seems like a smart idea. You can't do anything with a ball lofted in the air. On the ground you should be able to go get it if it's off line etc.

Jun 11, 2013
I agree with others, at first I thought it terrible but after hearing that they still threw overhand it's not a bad idea. If you are going to play 6U tournaments a good
coach will find ways to improve his chances. I don't remember too many ground outs in even 8U rec so I'm guessing 6U is harder. As long as they are still trying to
get outs I'm fine with it. At that age it's actually a negative for the offense to have runners on 1st and 2nd or bases loaded as it creates easy forces.

Jul 14, 2015
hey thanks for the responses guys. I've only been involved in softball/baseball for a couple of years, and haven't seen anything like that...nor had many of the other parents and coaches. the one thing I keep thinking about is

how can you say it hurts the girls because they aren't learning to properly throw and catch when our girls are being coached to hold the ball, or are never told to attempt to throw someone out at any other base besides first. I'm willing to bet most of our girls aren't even aware that can be done.

on a sidenote, I'm really glad I found this forum.. I've become very interested in the game and love discussing it.

Oct 4, 2011
Colorado
I love it - by having the kids roll the ball you are taking away the physical limitations and opening up an opportunity to really teach the game. I would guess that they can roll the ball a lot faster than they can throw it at this age. The game is probably a lot more interesting for the girls, too, since they can actually make things happen successfully.

edit: this is so much better than the "dirty play" in the other thread. Instead of teaching the girls to get a cheap out the coach is teaching them how to get outs by getting the ball to the correct base as quickly as possible, which is the true nature of the game.

Last edited:

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
I believe GoingDeep was the one who talked about using the "rolling" strategy when his DD/team was just starting out. Based on the username, I'd guess that the OP is from TN, which, interestingly enough/coincidentally, is where GD hails from (Memphis area).

Jun 12, 2015
I love it - by having the kids roll the ball you are taking away the physical limitations and opening up an opportunity to really teach the game. I would guess that they can roll the ball a lot faster than they can throw it at this age. The game is probably a lot more interesting for the girls, too, since they can actually make things happen successfully.

edit: this is so much better than the "dirty play" in the other thread. Instead of teaching the girls to get a cheap out the coach is teaching them how to get outs by getting the ball to the correct base as quickly as possible, which is the true nature of the game.

This makes sense. And I agree that the fact of overhand throwing changes my opinion too. Most throws at that age end up in the dirt whether they mean them to or not, anyway.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dd2k13