Changing Teams? Use GameChanger (et. al.) As A Research Tool

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
So, the new travel team you joined after July/August tryouts isn’t working out quite the way you hoped and now you’re considering other options. But, of course, after being burned once you are worried that you may jump from the frying pan into the fire. How do you make sure that whatever issues caused your […]

More...

Dec 11, 2010
This is a super good idea!

I’ll add, if you are a coach and ESPECIALLY if you are a young local team, make sure your gamechanger operator is putting NAMES in the other teams lineup.

You then know how the kids that show up at your tryout the next year really hit, and you know what kind of pitching they were facing (because it was yours.)

Tried out for and played for a coach that didn’t insist on this. We had played him before, and you could tell he had no idea how other players performed against his team. It hurt him at tryouts and it hurt him trying to get his lineup sorted out that fall. Everything was “eye test” with that guy and he was not good at it.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
If it's a USSSA team, much can also be gleaned from the team/manager history. Not only the manager's record from year to year, but how much turnover there is and the history of current players. A couple of long-time coaches in my area have a terrible W/L record and routinely cycle through 20+ players per year. I don't know how/why anyone signs up for that, but they do.

Oct 14, 2019
If your DD is elite, you’re going to be able to pick and choose a team. If not, you sometimes have to pick between the lesser of several evils.

Dec 11, 2010
Jay, I think this is more valuable at younger ages, before all the Super Platinum Select b.s. starts.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
This is a super good idea!

I’ll add, if you are a coach and ESPECIALLY if you are a young local team, make sure your gamechanger operator is putting NAMES in the other teams lineup.

You then know how the kids that show up at your tryout the next year really hit, and you know what kind of pitching they were facing (because it was yours.)

Tried out for and played for a coach that didn’t insist on this. We had played him before, and you could tell he had no idea how other players performed against his team. It hurt him at tryouts and it hurt him trying to get his lineup sorted out that fall. Everything was “eye test” with that guy and he was not good at it.
That is a great idea! Might just have to steal this. :)

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
If it's a USSSA team, much can also be gleaned from the team/manager history. Not only the manager's record from year to year, but how much turnover there is and the history of current players. A couple of long-time coaches in my area have a terrible W/L record and routinely cycle through 20+ players per year. I don't know how/why anyone signs up for that, but they do.
That's a great idea too. Yes, if a coach isn't retaining players there is probably a good reason...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478