Changeup Location

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 16, 2016
Illinois
in/out
Scrape bottom of zone
And throw it purposly to go in the dirt.
Yes the dirt is a location!

The Dirt, at times, should be a location for drops also.

(Can throw either change or drop to hit the dirt
Shallow or deep, & even befor the plate also.)

It gets real tough when the umpire calls a pitch that hit in front of the plate a called strike. Not making that up. I asked the ump how that coul have been a strike if it hit in front of the plate. He replied, the pitch was right down the middle. Walked right back to my in the 3rd base coaches box.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
It gets real tough when the umpire calls a pitch that hit in front of the plate a called strike. Not making that up. I asked the ump how that coul have been a strike if it hit in front of the plate. He replied, the pitch was right down the middle. Walked right back to my in the 3rd base coaches box.
Yes bouncing strikes happen,
;) batters beware!

As i teach catchers to USE OUR GLOVE on dirt pitches
This philosophy to control the ball with our glove mechanics does get strikes...
Those interesting odd moments too.

As apposed to catchers who immediately drop and block not controlling...rather trying to contain the pitch.
There may be a few strikes called that bounce...but that reaction from the catcher really exposes 'its in the dirt bad.'..contain it not frame it.

However catchers who still can present the ball, because its in our glove, even after it bounces, deffinetly can get calls!

Last edited:
May 16, 2016
Illinois
Yes bouncing strikes happen,
;) batters beware!

As i teach catchers to USE OUR GLOVE on dirt pitches
This philosophy to control the ball with our glove mechanics does get strikes...
Those interesting odd moments too.

As apposed to catchers who immediately drop and block not controlling...rather trying to contain the pitch.
There may be a few strikes called that bounce...but that reaction from the catcher really exposes 'its in the dirt bad.'..contain it not frame it.

However catchers who still can present the ball, because its in our glove, even after it bounces, deffinetly can get calls!

Like this? lol

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
I have always been a down and away guy, that is also my favorite spot for a fastball. This weekend we faced a pitcher who was several mph above what is typical in our area. She had a high changeup that absolutely froze our hitters, they interpreted the initial trajectory to be a ball and gave up on it. I have seen this changeup before but usually as a mistake, this time I think it was deliberate. If you want to sit on it it can be crushed, but then you are rolling the dice. She didn't throw it a lot, she didn't have to, but when she did it was a killer. Not a 'swing and miss' changeup.

We also had a new pitcher that I haven't had a chance to work with. I asked her about how she liked to throw her changeup, she basically said she 'just threw it'. Pitching is her second position, she normally plays infield. So I went over the low and away location with her and we started the game. Low and away became low and in and it was very effective, the hitters kept swinging over it.

Low and away generates a lot of weak contact and easy outs. However it also gets spoiled a lot as hitters are able to slow down and foul it off. There are also some very annoying bloopers, dribblers and chip shots that end up as hits.

I'm wondering if the low and away trajectory gives the hitter a better angle, or a two dimensional look, at perceiving the ball velocity and adjusting their swing, versus the low and in ball flight which has much less angle and gives only a one dimensional view. I'm going to start calling the low and in change to see what happens.

May 17, 2012
If the change-up is the pitchers primary pitch you want to throw it on the "U" in the strike zone.

Always for a strike just never high over the plate. You can throw it high just make sure it's inside or out. If it's over the plate it has to be low but again it should be for a strike. Remember you want them to hit the change (or try to). The other pitches (fastball, curve, pitch with speed) is just setting up all of the change-up(s) that are coming.

Throw it early in the count and throw it often!

You will give up a hit but you are betting they don't have three hitters in a row that can hit a change (to score a run).

Note the hitters that can resist (in their swing) and actually hit a change (vs. those that swung and got lucky, etc.).

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
In my experience throwing the change early in the count is not a good idea if the hitters are having trouble with the fastball. I have tried introducing it early in the game/count and been burned by poor hitters making solid contact.

I was thinking of the high change as sort of a 'back door' pitch similar to a curve that starts off the plate and catches a corner or the low rise that looks like it's going under the zone but stays up enough to be a strike.

I guess the bottom line for me is that I have been one dimensional in my thinking about where to throw the changeup.

Nov 18, 2015
If there's enough change of speed, I think a 1st pitch CU can be successful - similar to a "get me over" (get it over?) curve ball. Something to freeze the batter momentarily and make them take the pitch.

I don't think DeGrom throws it as much now, but I seem to remember seeing a lot of high, 1st pitch changeups during the 2015 WS that were taken for strikes.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fjhood