Change up help

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
I call it "dump the thumb"
At 9:00 turn the thumb nail straight downward, bend the elbow by rubbing the ball across the belt, then stab the thumb straight towards the target

Jun 29, 2014
Cue that worked for my kid was imagine dumping a glass of water out in front (ie 3 o'clock and thumb down) and imagine dumping a glass of water out behind you (ie 9 o'clock and thumb down). Then we used the finish at the glove side hip to bring it down or finish glove side shoulder to bring it up depending on where she was missing. The key in my opinion is getting that thumb pointed down at 9 o'clock. I think the purpose of turning down of the thumb at the 3 o'clock position aids in creating arm lockout which is a definite speed killer. Just my 2 cents and what worked for my DD.

Aug 12, 2014
Buffalo, NY
Sorry late to the thread. Besides all the nice cues that everyone provided here sometimes it's in the process. When I start my kids the start at 5' getting the spin right and relaying the spin they are seeing to me. Then when the are at 80% perfection with it they can move back to 10' and then 15', 25' ect. Then they are on the mound trying to get the spin right. Not location, not necessarily speed just spin. When they got that right around 80% then we work on location and speed in the sense where maybe they need to stiffen the fingers or release next to the hip instead of out front. They will usually throw it pretty consistently by then. As they are getting better we start eliminating some of the close up drills from the lesson. They sometimes will slip and lose it for a few weeks so we go back up close and go through progressions again. Here is a video that can help with visuals. At 1:50 mark is a good spin and the next clip is a 10 year that had 25 strikeouts yesterday throwing that change (drop 3rds 😂). Press the space bar and period or comma to slow mo it.

Nov 22, 2019
Sorry late to the thread. Besides all the nice cues that everyone provided here sometimes it's in the process. When I start my kids the start at 5' getting the spin right and relaying the spin they are seeing to me. Then when the are at 80% perfection with it they can move back to 10' and then 15', 25' ect. Then they are on the mound trying to get the spin right. Not location, not necessarily speed just spin. When they got that right around 80% then we work on location and speed in the sense where maybe they need to stiffen the fingers or release next to the hip instead of out front. They will usually throw it pretty consistently by then. As they are getting better we start eliminating some of the close up drills from the lesson. They sometimes will slip and lose it for a few weeks so we go back up close and go through progressions again. Here is a video that can help with visuals. At 1:50 mark is a good spin and the next clip is a 10 year that had 25 strikeouts yesterday throwing that change (drop 3rds 😂). Press the space bar and period or comma to slow mo it.

This video inspired me to create a hype video of my 10-year old DD, who threw her CU extensively for the 1st time yesterday ( I wish I video’d more of them). Went with the old school version for the music. First batter in the video is arguably the best 10-u hitter in our extended area (southern NY, NJ, eastern PA). Got her to chase the CU then went back to the FB for the SO.

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
Cue that worked for my kid was imagine dumping a glass of water out in front (ie 3 o'clock and thumb down) and imagine dumping a glass of water out behind you (ie 9 o'clock and thumb down). Then we used the finish at the glove side hip to bring it down or finish glove side shoulder to bring it up depending on where she was missing. The key in my opinion is getting that thumb pointed down at 9 o'clock. I think the purpose of turning down of the thumb at the 3 o'clock position aids in creating arm lockout which is a definite speed killer. Just my 2 cents and what worked for my DD.

The dumping a glass of water or the “baggage/suitcase handle” was the cue I used for me and DD. She’s been wanting to learn the flip change....so she’s gone back to it and has been getting better and better in practice. My fear is it’s too slow, but she likes it so we’ll see.

For me...I like the glass of water cue with a modified circle grip. In my head I’m releasing with the “circle” facing the catcher and continuing the hand/arm rolling over during follow through. Ball has a counter clockwise spin with movement down and to the left (if my release point is correct.) The circle grip gives me a feel of tight tension against the other fingers. That probably makes no sense but in my head it works.

Edit: I wanted to expand on DD's change-up a little too. Back to the "cue". Even though she's using the "flip"....the throwing the water cue still helped her in regards to mentally establishing a release point. She had been releasing too far out front as she was more worried about the "flip" than what she was doing coming into release (IR) and where release should be. These are just items I've seen while she practices. When I try to ask her what she's feeling or thinking I get a "I don't know. It just does it." Fair enough.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
A question came to mind when practicing with DD on her change-up last night. Figured I'd keep this thread rolling and post it here.

I understand that ball spin for the change-up is more so dictated by which "style" the pitcher is using. But, can there be so much spin that you can hear it as it comes into the glove (I was catching). It was darker out and I was picking the ball up late, but I swear I could hear it despite the ball coming in very slow. She wants to practice it again today, so I'm hoping I'll be able to watch the spin better as the pitch comes in. Curious if others DD throws a change-up with a lot of spin.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812