Championship play rule tolerances

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 3, 2011
I do not have a problem with IPs not being strictly called in 10u during most of the season. In 12u, however, I expect them to be called.

But that's not what my rant is about. The umpires are in charge of the game, but I believe that we should be following the rules of play by this point in the season. It's a national qualifier.

2-1 game in the 3rd inning. 2 out, R1 on 2B. Ground ball to F6, who throws to F3 who stretches for apparent 3rd out. Both teams leave the field, but as batter-runner is heading toward dugout on 3B side, HC asks for time, stops her and instructs her to return to 1B.

Defensive coach is fine with the appeal. The call was wrong, but the blues can only call what they see. But the DC also knew that R1 was out for having left the field. The play was still live. She's out, no question, even if the call at 1B is overturned.

DC didn't push the issue, but asked why R1 was placed back on 3B, and the PU said: "We're not going to penalize them at 10u for not knowing that rule".

In this instance, I kept my cool and went directly to the UIC to ask the question. DC had conceded the call, so there was nothing more to say about it, but I wanted to know what the deal was and the UIC confirmed the rule for me. Of course, the protest of that ruling would've had to come prior to the next pitch, so it was a moot point, but this was a championship game. The umpire's opinion differed from mine and even though it was still early, the call affected the game. Instead of getting out with a 1-run lead, they ended up being down 2 and never gained any momentum after that. Oh well.

Jun 22, 2008
If a call, or reversal of a call puts either team at jeapordy the umpires are to correct the situation. I dont see a problem with putting the lead runner back at 3rd, the umpires initial call of out is what sent her to the dugout.

The rule states abandons a base and enters the team area or leaves live ball territory. Because of the erroneous call, the runner did not abandon any base and since it was for all practical purposes the 3rd out the ball was no longer live.

Last edited:
Yeah this is not the same situation as 1 out defense makes the second out then everyone thinks its third out and leaves the field. In this instance the umpires out call is forcing players to leave the field.

Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket
I wish they would either call IP's or forget about them and move on. If we aren't going to call them then let the softball world know so those who try to play by the rules can adjust.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
phoebeschultz