Catching stances

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 11, 2024
I'm noticing a lot of catchers using a one knee down stance at a collegiate level. I never caught in a stance like this, so I have zero idea if it is beneficial and in what situations. The only thing i have noticed with the girls using it at the playing level I'm helping with is they are slooow behind the plate. I realize this could just be them and not the stance though. Does anyone have insight/ resources so that I can learn more about this? I obviously want to help the girls learn the appropriate things. Hopefully, my knowledge isn't too out of date, haha. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2022
My daughter is starting to learn how to catch, and from what I've seen/read, the largest benefit of OKD stance is the framing benefits (ump is denied knee up position for referencing where the strike zone is).

You're probably slower getting up from OKD than a traditional stance. Some MLB catchers can get away with OKD all the time because they're athletic enough to make plays from that stance and having access to the framing benefits makes it worth doing all the time.

This is just my layperson's understanding from reading/watching up on some "modern" catching instruction on OKD stance.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Apr 25, 2019
My DD is a catcher and she does not like OKD because she is not able to burst out of the box as fast on bunts and foul balls. We tried it early on and she didn't like it so we moved on. Personally, I see more pass balls and wild pitches getting to the backstop with it but this is mostly in travel and high school ball. So I don't have any stats to back it up. However, balls in the dirt that would normally get blocked are getting to the back stop and getting marked down as wild pitches. My DD's stances is low enough that she can get below the ball and come up with the frame but that's her. Not everyone can do that. Just my $.02

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
It's also more common in softball because catchers can make the 84'10" throw from their knees whereas the throw in MLB is so much longer. It takes a special arm to make that throw in baseball.

Aug 23, 2016
Ronnie Ali Catchers Academy on Instagram has done videos explaining why he teaches 1KD to his catchers. I've seen several of his catchers at work and they definitely get the low strike calls and I know he teaches his players how to be mobile in this stance.

At the same time, I've seen my share of girls (high school age) who try this position who are slow to respond to wild pitches, or plays close to the plate, or base stealers. I'm not knowledgeable enough about catching to know if that's a weakness in their specific training or a weakness in the catching style.

softgabby

Gear Empress
Mar 10, 2016
Just behind home plate
I started using OKD during my junior year of college. It was hard for me to pick up and it was harder for me to make strikes at second at first. But...working with and talking to @RADcatchers, I really picked up on the nuances of catching OKD. I really wish I had gotten to know Coach Turbo on here when I first started catching during my freshman year of high school because I know I'd had using OKD from then out during my carrer.

But, I've seen slower catchers using it and balls do get past them as they don't react fast enough to keep up with the ball. I was lucky that way as I was a beast of a blocker, framer, and thrower.

Jun 4, 2024
Earth
While Catching
Seeing where the pitch is going and reacting to it is critical and important thing catchers have to do.
Frame or Field are a decision that comes with a physical reaction that needs to be made quickly!

While we catchers have the pleasure of framing 🙂 we are also a defensive player that have to cover range quickly and be prepared to make a throw🎉👍. Additionally field pop ups, bunts, & local miss hits.
⬆️ For those reasons
I teach starting in an athletic Crouch with our feet out from underneath our tushy.

* Reminder there is lots of foul territory behind the catcher where there is no backup player!

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2024
Earth
When I was younger and developing into being a catcher. Going through learning curve. And finding what was working best... I did consider this topic of mechanics.
My thoughts,
If i'm going to do something that's athletic,
I want to be as athletic as I can be. That means I want to use everything I can in my body as much of the time as I can.
100% athlete
100% of the time.
So I thought through how to use my body. From this I will share my next comments.

There is this factor to consider starting with weight shifted to one leg. * I am speaking to the health of the body. Because from the catching position we do need to get out and move in multiple directions quickly.
Let's think it through...
Two legs being utilized versus weight shifted more so on to one leg.
When the weight is shifted onto one leg there is definitely a different weight to limb and joints ratio where one leg would have to bear more weight and more cumbersome effort than if shared with two legs.
The one leg takes a heck of a lot more of the brunt of weight and effort when it is not shared with the other leg.
That poor knee being put into a tougher situation then if the weight and exertion was shared.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
I started using OKD during my junior year of college. It was hard for me to pick up and it was harder for me to make strikes at second at first. But...working with and talking to @RADcatchers, I really picked up on the nuances of catching OKD. I really wish I had gotten to know Coach Turbo on here when I first started catching during my freshman year of high school because I know I'd had using OKD from then out during my carrer.

Got any video?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ashtraythief