CATCHING~So you are an instructor, tell us what you do when...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
%55 percent ball in flight means nearly half of the equation happens before that!

***What I have found is that in most cases catchers transition and body mechanics are the first places that reduce pop time!!!

***Plus it is generally better body mechanics that produce better throwing velocity!!!
💥 This is where detailed work is important!

Definitely a common thing that people mistaken having good throwing velocity the catcher would have a good pop time. But it is not the case.
This is why make a point about the details to focus on the 4 parts that are a pop time.

*Really like and *appreciate the detail @erniekru put in with timing his daughter. Excellent example of a person paying attention!
Unfortunately it is a very limited amount of people get that detailed into deciphering the pop time mechanical details and flight of ball.
* BIG reason why I bring this topic to DFP, to get people paying attention!

Last edited:

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Here is an example,

Recently had a dad/coach of 18u travel ball team bring his daughter to do catching lessons. He commented several times about how hard his daughter throws and that she probably has the hardest throwing arm on the team. After taking a look at the team and watching the daughter throw I would agree she has the hardest throwing arm on the team. Unfortunately she has time-consuming mechanics and her pop-time was a 2.1.
... and Runners were stealing on her.

Imagine being able to throw hard but now having to pay attention to the details within it.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802