Catching on glove side

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 22, 2022
Any tips to get my daughter catching on her glove side? Currently, on glove side, she keeps her fingers down and elbow in her ribs. On the other side, her fingers are up and the glove is extended out and away from her body. I throw to her glove side to practice, and explain she needs to catch away from her body. Is it just that I’m dad and she’s not going to hear me? Thanks for the help.

Jun 8, 2016
Any tips to get my daughter catching on her glove side? Currently, on glove side, she keeps her fingers down and elbow in her ribs. On the other side, her fingers are up and the glove is extended out and away from her body. I throw to her glove side to practice, and explain she needs to catch away from her body. Is it just that I’m dad and she’s not going to hear me? Thanks for the help.
She hears you..listening is a different story..lol.

Maybe try and have her catch tennis balls barehand using the proper form?

Aug 20, 2017
One simple rule “could” apply here: get your head behind the ball

Never reach for the ball (it’s gonna happen but it’s a good coaching point). Have her work on that first. Once proficient with that, you can work on one handed catches outside the framework of the body.

If she’s too young I think Patters suggestion will help. How old is she?

Oct 14, 2020
Kneel in front of her with you facing her.

Toss a ball to her so she catches in each of the 4 quadrants (her upper left, her upper right, her lower left, her lower right). Tell her which spot you're tossing to. Start with tennis balls or ping ping balls or wiffle balls and no glove, then those things with a glove, and then with a softball and glove. You can use softies too if it helps.

Edit for spelling

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2019
Kneel in front of her with you facing her.

Toss a ball to her so she catches in each of the 4 quadrants (her upper left, her upper right, her lower left, her lower right). Tell her which spot you're tossing to. Start with tennis balls or ping ping balls or wiggle balls and no glove, then those things with a glove, and then with a softball and glove. You can use softies too if it helps.
Good advice - I do something similar but use a clock instead of the quadrants. 6 o’clock, 3 o’clock, 9 o’clock, and 12 o’clock. My youngest DD used to say “dad I’m not very good at the 12 o’clock’s” because they were over her head and she would run out of the way of them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802