Catching Examples

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 12, 2015
All Over I Coach TB
Just bought the NECC DVD and sat down to watch about 45 minutes of it. So far I am extremely impressed. His view on framing really opened my eyes. So many time my DD has been told to frame by pulling a pitch back into the strike zone. I always thought this was a bad idea but everyone she ever went to taught the same thing. This may be the best money I have spent on catching so far.

I think framing is the Old School terminology. MY DD College Coach says we never frame a pitch. That implies we missed our spot. We present good pitches. New terminology is Presentation.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Receive the ball so that you
"Keep strikes looking like strikes". :)
. Unfortunately, framing is what most think a catcher should do, but its a no-no in NECC world. Personally, I prefer the term "receiving" over "presenting". IMO, asking or teaching a catcher to "present" what they think are "good" pitches implies action on their part, which can very easily lead to "pulling" or "framing" or excessively long holding (aka begging or disputing), all of which may leave the umpire feeling that they are being shown up and ultimately may be counterproductive. "Receive" has a more passive connotation and is less likely to be misunderstood. The goal is to receive and briefly stick good and/or close pitches in order to give the umpire every opportunity to clearly see every pitch and call the strikes (and almost strikes) strikes.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I have grown to be less offended by the word "framing", as long as the person using it understands the proper approach for receiving. If they think "framing" means pulling balls into the strike zone in an effort to trick an ump, they immediately get put in my "I will no longer listen to any of your 'advice'" category.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
I have grown to be less offended by the word "framing", as long as the person using it understands the proper approach for receiving. If they think "framing" means pulling balls into the strike zone in an effort to trick an ump, they immediately get put in my "I will no longer listen to any of your 'advice'" category.

Yep. FTR, I am receptive to framed presents and presented frames.

Oct 12, 2015
All Over I Coach TB
Receive the ball so that you . Unfortunately, framing is what most think a catcher should do, but its a no-no in NECC world. Personally, I prefer the term "receiving" over "presenting". IMO, asking or teaching a catcher to "present" what they think are "good" pitches implies action on their part, which can very easily lead to "pulling" or "framing" or excessively long holding (aka begging or disputing), all of which may leave the umpire feeling that they are being shown up and ultimately may be counterproductive. "Receive" has a more passive connotation and is less likely to be misunderstood. The goal is to receive and briefly stick good and/or close pitches in order to give the umpire every opportunity to clearly see every pitch and call the strikes (and almost strikes) strikes.

All great points. I agree. Don't Frame, Present, or Receive non strikes, just throw them back. I think once an Ump knows you understand what he is looking for you can them to see close pitches your way later in the games.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28