Catchers mitt?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 5, 2021
My daughter is 13 going on 14 and she is still using her 32.5 in glove.

This was an entry-level glove when I bought it when she started catching. now the girls are throwing much harder and they'r e stinging her hand. Her catching coach suggested not going bigger than a 33, but I see most of the Fastpitch gloves are 34.

what do you guys suggest for a glove?

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
My daughter has two primary catcher's mitts. One is a Liberty Advanced 34" mitt that was originally mine for catching my younger daughter. The other is a 33" Nokona Kip leather mitt.

The Nokona is the higher quality mitt, both in durability and padding, but she uses the LA much more frequently. The Nokona has been very difficult to break-in properly, so maybe it's the reason she's using the LA instead.

The main question you need to answer would be how big and strong is her hand? Not everyone has big enough hands to use a 34" mitt. If you're looking to save money, go with the LA. If you're not in a tight budget, upgrade to the Rawlings Heart of The Hide or Wilson A2000. Both are excellent mitts, but they will take a considerable amount of time to be game ready.

Feel free to text me with any questions about any of them. I am a dealer, so I can usually save you off the retail price, considerably. 631-942-3516

Nov 5, 2021
Thanks guys.

Sounds like the liberty advanced might be a faster break in.

The cost difference between the LA and HOH, I can afford either. Looks like they both come in 33".

Mar 8, 2021
My kid used the Mizuno Franchise 34 a couple years and it was a good step up. Easy breakin, not expensive, but if your daughter catches year round expect to replace it 3 times a year. The next move was to the Wilson A2000 Aubree Munro. Much more protection in the thumb, light, doesn't pancake, and has a smaller hand fit. We never tried the Rawlings because the hand fit was way too big on her. We bought a second one after 1 year of use for her birthday. The first one is still in great shape, no tears, no broken laces, and holds shape. She keeps it in her bag in case of rain games.
This glove is stiff, intimidating to breakin, but Wilson has great videos on YouTube on how to break it in, and it works. You don't need to bake it, or do any voodoo.

Jun 24, 2016
Don’t rule out the All Star AF Elite. My daughter’s been using that for a few years and she’s now a sophomore in college. Great glove for a great price. Not too bad to break in. Still in great shape. Hasn’t gotten soft or floppy…we bought a second as a backup but it hasn’t been needed yet.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Don’t rule out the All Star AF Elite.
This would be my choice, best thumb protection of any mitt out there. Of course my very first choice would be a custom HOH off of the builder like Travis mentioned, just not sure if you're interested in a ~$400 mitt?

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2021
Don’t rule out the All Star AF Elite. My daughter’s been using that for a few years and she’s now a sophomore in college. Great glove for a great price. Not too bad to break in. Still in great shape. Hasn’t gotten soft or floppy…we bought a second as a backup but it hasn’t been needed yet.
I did look on the All-Star website and they only have those for the lefties.

I haven't looked to see if I can find them anywhere else.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I got my DD a Vinci JCV34 when she was 12. It was an absolute beast to break in. She is now 17, and has continued to use that same mitt all thought 14U-18U TB, as well as school ball seasons, playing year-round, with catcher as her primary position throughout that entire time. The mitt is still in great shape. It is easily some of the best money I've spent on softball gear.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coopdog