Catchers mitt for 15yo

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
A note about the Wilson A2000 and Vinci JCV34...The solid web makes for a shallow pocket. If your DD is coming from a mitt with a deep pocket (Mizuno, for example), she may not like the feel of the shallow pocket. This was definitely an issue for my DD with the Vinci, and she almost gave up on it. I replaced the solid web with an H-web (from Vinci), and that made all the difference for her.

May 21, 2014
If you go Vinci, the best way to start the break in is to open it up and work the palm pad that's attached to the felt. Get rid of the palm adhesive while you are there too because as you break it in it will be prone to leaving ridges in the palm. I've actually taken the inner felt that has the leather palm pad stitched to it and folded it over and ironed it. It will help the break in process a ton. Sounds ridiculous but really works.

Jul 27, 2015
I have a brand new Vinci catcher's glove I need to list on here. I ended up with 2 new ones about 3 months apart. I like the color better on the latest new one I got, but I am unwilling to forgo the breaking in I have on the other glove.

Breaking that one in I have was/is a lot of work. Just lots of catching my daughter. I really do like the glove, though. There is no way I am going to take it apart and fool around with it like you have listed.

If you go Vinci, the best way to start the break in is to open it up and work the palm pad that's attached to the felt. Get rid of the palm adhesive while you are there too because as you break it in it will be prone to leaving ridges in the palm. I've actually taken the inner felt that has the leather palm pad stitched to it and folded it over and ironed it. It will help the break in process a ton. Sounds ridiculous but really works.

May 21, 2019
I'm glad I came back to this site after a long hiatus. This thread helped me and my 14U DD make a decision on her next mitt.

She used some of her Christmas money to buy a Rawlings Liberty 34" H web. It was $161.99 on Amazon when purchased a couple of nights ago. With free Prime 2-day shipping, it'll arrive today. The mitt already back up to $189.99.

The inner leather lining and padding on her Louisville Xeno 33" is coming apart. I contacted a local shop, and they gave an initial estimate of $175 to repair and re-lace. So it was a no brainer to buy a new one since there is no sentimental value holding onto this one. She loves this mitt. It lasted for one 12U rec ball season and 1 1/2 years of 12U/14U travel ball.

We were contemplating the Vinci after reading all the reviews on here and other forums. We will revisit the next time she needs another mitt.

Attachments

• LS Xeno mitt.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 6
May 24, 2013
So Cal
I'm glad I came back to this site after a long hiatus. This thread helped me and my 14U DD make a decision on her next mitt.

She used some of her Christmas money to buy a Rawlings Liberty 34" H web. It was $161.99 on Amazon when purchased a couple of nights ago. With free Prime 2-day shipping, it'll arrive today. The mitt already back up to $189.99.

The inner leather lining and padding on her Louisville Xeno 33" is coming apart. I contacted a local shop, and they gave an initial estimate of $175 to repair and re-lace. So it was a no brainer to buy a new one since there is no sentimental value holding onto this one. She loves this mitt. It lasted for one 12U rec ball season and 1 1/2 years of 12U/14U travel ball.

We were contemplating the Vinci after reading all the reviews on here and other forums. We will revisit the next time she needs another mitt.

Or, you could have bought the Vinci now, and not have to worry about needing to buy another mitt...ever. ;)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28