Catchers mitt for 15yo

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 15, 2019
We'll probably need to buy DD another glove soon. When she started catching a year and a half ago we bought her a liberty advanced which she's liked, but it's starting to get floppy and we're ready for a step up. Mostly debating between a HOH (DD absolutely loves her HOH fielding glove) and the All Star Elite (although DD has an All Star outfield glove and doesn't seem to pick it up much, but that could be because she's so attached to her HOH).

Also wondering if anybody has any feedback on one of the Vinci mitts?

And wasn't there a certain time last year when a lot of gloves went on sale? Does anybody remember when that is?

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I bought my DD a Vinci JCV34 when she was 12yo. She’s now 17yo, and still using it. It was a beast to break in, but it’s also some of the best money I’ve spent on her gear. No other piece of gear has lasted this long. I’ve replaced a couple sections of lacing, and clean/condition it regularly, but the structure and padding are still in great shape. If she can’t use it in college next year, my DD will be heartbroken.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
I bought my DD a Vinci JCV34 when she was 12yo. She’s now 17yo
If that's not beta testing, I don't know what is? Listen to Eric here, very real world experience!

Even though I lost faith in Vinci fielders gloves years ago, their catchers mitts remain solid and a great value, as Eric said....get ready for a serious, serious PITA break in period!

I still love my All-Star CMW3000, but honestly I don't know if Eric's Maddie could have gotten 5 years out of it under the conditions she puts a mitt through? Don't get me wrong, great mitt, just saying. My All-Star was 100% just used for pitching lessons, never once gamed.

Nov 15, 2019
Thanks Eric and ANNASDAD.
I noticed they have an option to get it pre softened for easier break-in. Any idea how they soften it? And how much will that help?
Would we be able to break this in by just doing a lot of catching off of a pitching machine or no?

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
I noticed they have an option to get it pre softened for easier break-in. Any idea how they soften it? And how much will that help?
Would we be able to break this in by just doing a lot of catching off of a pitching machine or no?
Purely guessing here, maybe Vinci has an electric / pneumatic pounding machine they show some extra love to for the pre break-in option?

Honestly, I don't really think it'll make that much of a difference.....but I could be wrong? Me and Eric have discussed this several times, when it comes to Vinci's catchers mitts, it's ALL about the palm pad!! It's a monster and has a mind of it's own, it changes and stiffens up with the temperature change overnight, right when you think you're making some progress!

These mitts just need reps, lots and lots of reps! And don't be scared to get very rude with this glove, beat the snot out of it with a 5lb. dumbbell. I've never owned or broken in a Kip model like Eric has, but I've owned and broken in two steerhide JCV-22 models, I'm sure the Kip mitt is even tougher!

And yeah, tons of reps behind a pitching machine with definitely help.

May 6, 2015
first suggestion, being the cheap bastard that I am, have you looked into relacing the LA, might help it get back to shape. especially might be nice if you go with a option with a long break in period.

DD loves her AS CMW3001, we got the 3001 a year ago when her AS CMW3000 started to get a little loose (3 years old at that point). Once 3001 was pretty much game ready, 3000 went to get relaced, now either is really good to go for game use, both are in her bag (just in case). As CMW3 series also takes some serious breaking in, but not as much as vinci from what I have heard (never seen nor held a Vinci myself).

May 24, 2013
So Cal

If I had to buy another Vinci mitt, I would take advantage of anything they can do at the factory to speed up the break-in process. For my DD's current mitt, it took a lot of beating, massaging, and folding. Months of it. One of my methods is to fold it and sit on it, move the fold and sit on it...repeat...repeat... I did this at work, and in the evenings on the couch at home. The idea is to soften up the entire palm area.

FWIW, my DD did not get along very well with a Worth Liberty Advanced (pre-Rawlings era), and liked - but didn't love - the All-Star mitts.

Last edited:
I'll throw one in there for a HoH custom. Especially if she's in it for the long haul. DD has one (there's a thread here) that's about a year and half or so old now and going strong, not floppy at all. It was a bear to break in but worth it. DD says no sting at all and also makes an awesome sound when it hits the pocket just right. Just for reference my DD is 15 as well. Like bmakj I've never seen or held a VInci myself but they have a good reputation least the catcher's mitts anyway.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
For your consideration: I bought DD a Wilson A2000 catcher's mitt and Infielder glove her sophomore year in HS. Fall 2016. 5 years strong! I give them some love during christmas break and the beginning of summer. In 8th grade I got her a Mizuno catcher's mitt ($139). Lasted 2 years, and just didn't give her enough padding for those faster pitchers.

Whatever you do, don't be cheap! Look at this purchase as an investment in your DD's softball career. Once the player is HS age, get her a forever glove.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802