Catcher's Gear - Baseball vs. Softball?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 12, 2014
I am hoping someone can tell me what the differences are between catcher's gear designed for baseball versus gear designed for softball. I have a 10U daughter who will be doing some catching on her travel ball team this year and I'd like to buy her new gear.

Is the stuff designed for baseball not the best for softball? The Mizuno gear I'm looking at has shin guars and chest protectors specifically labeled as "womens." Is this designed differently?

Thanks!

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Generally, the shin guards and head gear is the same for her age. At older ages the equipment will run narrower for a woman and they will want it more form fitting.

At 10 she needs a female chest protector, because a boys will have the groin protector hanging down between her legs. (Although, it might be removable.)

May 24, 2013
So Cal
In most cases, there isn't any difference between boys and girls gear in "youth" sizes. The groin protector piece that Amy mentioned is usually removable. Go with what fits properly and is most comfortable.

Also, look through the "Catching" section of the forum. There has been lots of gear discussion.

Josh Greer

DFP Vendor
Jul 31, 2013
Central Missouri
My 14u softball catcher and her 13u baseball catcher brother use the same model chest protector: the Rawlings cp950. In my opinion, it is the best chest protector on the market. The 950 shins are garbage though as the metatarsal guards tear off at the joints.

W

WorldO

The groin protector piece that Amy mentioned is usually removable. Go with what fits properly and is most comfortable.????

Mar 24, 2014
My. DD started catching at 9U and her gear was the Easton Natural Catchers gear and absolutely loved it. Held up for both 9U and 10U and she ended up out growing it. Lightweight and was able to easily move around in the gear. Currently on her second set of Easton catchers gear and its held up for about 3 years with no issues other than the padding in the shin guards is getting a worn out.

Apr 16, 2010
Alabama
I agree on the Easton Natural. DD used it through 10U into first year of 12's when I realized she had out grown it and she still wanted to wear it. We upgraded to another Easton set.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan