Catchers expectations

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
What do you expect out of your 16u catcher? Besides good receiving/framing (which I don't see very often especially if there is a base runner), good pop times and cheerleader for the pitcher.
Pitch calling?
Calling back picks?
Calling bunt coverage?
1st and 3rd plays?
Deciding and calling out cuts? (What verbiage do you use? cut, no cut can be confusing) These are split second decisions.
Directing infielders what base to throw to? Example: runner on first is fast or stealing and chopper to 3rd baseman. Should catcher be directing 3rd baseman to throw to 1st?
Directing OFers where to throw?
Good catching isn't easy!

May 7, 2015
SoCal
No to pitch calling
Yes to calling back picks and mostly just back picking when the opportunity arises
No to calling bunt coverage, that should just happen
Yes to 1st and 3rds
Absolutely to calling for cut and no cut on throws to 4.
Absolutely directing all fielders on where to throw

When DD was in 14u, I remember always pushing for pop times and ability to throw all runners out. However, she went right to 18u and the past couple of years I've learned this from watching.

Catchers will receive ~120 pitches per game
Catchers will block ~10-15 pitches per game
Catchers will have <2 SBA's per game (if they're strong, usually have 0 SBA)

The above tells you what is most important WRT the mechanics of the position. Directing the field of play is the other often overlooked aspect of the position.

Jun 11, 2013
All important but the most important thing is to read the pitchers. Getting a feel for what is working but more importantly noticing the signs when they might just need a quick conference to get them back in the game..

May 27, 2022
What do you expect out of your 16u catcher? Besides good receiving/framing (which I don't see very often especially if there is a base runner), good pop times and cheerleader for the pitcher.
Pitch calling? Some yes / Some no
Calling back picks? Yes or have code words to trigger an attempt if they aren't thinking about it.
Calling bunt coverage? Yes
1st and 3rd plays? Called from the dugout
Deciding and calling out cuts? (What verbiage do you use? cut, no cut can be confusing) These are split second decisions. Cut - Base # / If nothing called, let it go
Directing infielders what base to throw to? Example: runner on first is fast or stealing and chopper to 3rd baseman. Should catcher be directing 3rd baseman to throw to 1st? Yes, always call where to throw
Directing OFers where to throw? Yes
Good catching isn't easy!
Maybe you missed:
- Calling who should catch a fly ball if in the infield
- Bunt with runner at 1st: Cover third if the 3rd baseman fields the bunt.
- Blocking, Blocking, Blocking and more blocking - can definitely be the difference in winning and losing by keeping runners from advancing!

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Maybe you missed:
- Calling who should catch a fly ball if in the infield

In almost all cases, the infielders should be able to handle this on their own. I guess the catcher could probably help out on weird ones that are near the pitcher, but still, shortstop has priority on everything she can catch. Second base should call off first base on any pop ups behind the first baseman. And someone should call off the pitcher unless it's a little pop up right in front of her.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802