Catchers dirt pitch recovery. Field the ball!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 26, 2016
Murfreesboro, TN
Let me share this... I have been teaching for decades

RAD let's throw runners out!
Enjoy

Nice video. Thanks for sharing. This is what this site needs more of.

I do however agree with Eric F on hand placement. The risk/reward against a foul tip is what I worry about. A good catcher can adjust the hand forward on an obvious "out of box" pitch to "block" and still keep the hand back when the ball is in area for receiving. Mostly six/half dozen philosophy.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Interesting to read your concerns of
Risk / reward
There is more risk getting hit by pitches blocking everything.
As people know of the bruises aquired letting ball hit them.

Risk of bruises & loose ball.

Good discussion

Bruises heal faster than broken fingers. 😉

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Eric F Glad you are concerned with safety. To share feedback...
Aslo think Safety is important!
That said,
Experience over the years
No injury issues with these mechanics.
Yes people get injured playing softball.
But NO extra issues added with hands to the ball.
Good to discuss. Not here to challenge your thinking.
Just sharing.

Appreciate being able to discuss softball, respectfully, no name calling :)

Lets grow Softball!

Enjoy

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2015
Transition in front is part of transition speed and forward energy into throwing.

Disagree with bringing ball backwards.

Utilizing transition & pivot forward into throw part of explosive energy & fast pop times.
I'm a little confused by this description. Do you mean that during "transition and pivot forward", the movement your teaching is more about bringing the body forward to the ball (gaining ground)? I don't think many would argue with that concept, unless the forward move would also be bringing us into a swinging bat.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Hi , yes Gags correct! Thanku for your detail to verbage.
Body moving forward in pivot gaining ground!
Get ball out by Transition quickly in front and pivot (gain ground) creating energy into throw.

In compairison, some other style mechanics bring ball backwards.
May consider using words
Throwing hand waits at the side of body while glove brings ball backwards.
Ie: longer throw also.

*No swinging bat issues.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2010
Knoxville, TN

For those looking for a visual, here is an example of picking a ball in the dirt that most catchers block. You can hear the ball hit the ground then the mitt. Base runner recognizes ball is going to hit the ground and expects DD to block. Watch the runner take the extra step when she recognizes this. That extra step is what allows the pick. DD was taught this from 10U by her travel coach.

Feb 26, 2016
Murfreesboro, TN

For those looking for a visual, here is an example of picking a ball in the dirt that most catchers block. You can hear the ball hit the ground then the mitt. Base runner recognizes ball is going to hit the ground and expects DD to block. Watch the runner take the extra step when she recognizes this. That extra step is what allows the pick. DD was taught this from 10U by her travel coach.

Gunned !!!!

Nov 22, 2019
Minnesota, USA
I like the aggresive attitude but I can't say I agree with the concept of having the throwing hand exposed all the time, especially at the younger ages where only the lord knows why but some batters think they are playing polo and swing at dirtballs that bounce 3 ft in front of the plate.

Glad to see some more catching conversation going on. My DD made the switch to catcher from SS last season.

Sep 29, 2010
Knoxville, TN
I like the aggresive attitude but I can't say I agree with the concept of having the throwing hand exposed all the time, especially at the younger ages where only the lord knows why but some batters think they are playing polo and swing at dirtballs that bounce 3 ft in front of the plate.

Glad to see some more catching conversation going on. My DD made the switch to catcher from SS last season.
Fortunately DD has only had two dislocated fingers on the same pitch when she was 10. No other hand finger injuries. Knock wood!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coach101