Catchers dirt pitch recovery. Field the ball!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Catchers dirt pitch recovery.

Catchers are a defensive player behind the
plate. With the added pleasure of framing and throwing ruuners out! Use our glove to
field pitches including wild and dirt pitches to transition directly into our throw.
Enjoy
"Field & Fire"
Zero downtime.
Faster pop times!

Video povided with permission to use by parent.

Get RAD Training Workout

Lets throw runners out!

KEEP THE DISCUSSION GOING

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal
I agree with staying athletic during a blocking move, but if you're blocking, the idea of "fielding the ball" (ball into the pocket of the mitt) is a misguided approach. Blocking is purely about keeping the ball in front of you, nearby, and within easy reach. Moving the mitt around to try to get the ball in the pocket often leads to misses that skip through the legs or bounce off the edge of the mitt and out of reach. Now you're on your knees and have to go chase down the ball. I prefer that the mitt is used for plugging the "5-hole", not moving around. Also, "fielding" like an IF usually involves both hands. I am not a fan of that idea for catchers.

For a younger player, I prefer to have them blocking in any kind of throwing situation (2 strikes or runner on base).

For an older player (14U+), developing good glove skills for short-hopping/picking pitches in the dirt is a valuable tool that can be used in certain situations. Picking from a receiving stance increases the catcher's changes of being able to make a good throw on a runner. However, it's situational. With a runner at 3B, block everything. With a runner at 1B, pick it.

Welcome to DFP, RADCatcher. Enjoy the ride! :)

radness

Dec 13, 2019
I disagree with blocking everything. Most dirt pitches do not bounce up high and can be handled fielding short hops.
It is not misguided to use our glove.
It controls the ball to control the game.

Have over 30 years of catching instruction. Include my softball resume of D1 accomplishments.
Success is already in the books.
Sharing this information to encourage people to think about the choices in mechanics and phylosophies in softball.!
Catchers who field/ pic dirt pitchers do get recruited!!

There are different thought process and mechanics people teach and use.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2019
I disagree with blocking everything. Most dirt pitches do not bounce up high and can be handled fielding short hops.

Have over 30 years of catching instruction. Include my softball resume of D1 accomplishments.

Sounds like you know your stuff. Agree with you 100%.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Perhaps i should add to the coversation. Even my young students develop fielding glove skills that runners stay closer to the bag because the catchers already field and transition and have the ball ready to throw. Zero downtime.

Coaches at all age brackets have commented there own awareness that they have their Runners take off when they see catchers drop to block as the ball gets away and is a downtime in the pop time. They recognize with catchers who are Fielding dirt pitches they cannot do that. Even back pics are faster. Result runners have to stay closer to the bag.

:) share i know this would gather different view points.
Glad to have the opportunity to discuss.

Enjoy

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal

Keep in mind the points I made about age and situation in regards to blocking everything. At 12U and under, trying to "field" is asking for a lot of misses that cost a more than 1 base (my opinion from experience as a former 10U-12U coach).

If you're going to block, commit to blocking, and execute good blocking mechanics - which includes the mitt firmly in the 5-hole and on the ground. Fielding/picking from your knees is limiting in range, and limiting in being able to move into a powerful throw. If you're going to pick, I prefer that the catcher picks from their receiving stance. Going through this with my DD, she feels a lot more athletic and reactive if she can stay on her feet.

If you are going to play the resume card to show that your opinion is more valid than anyone else's, you aren't really "interested in perspectives". FWIW, my preferences about blocking vs. picking come from the instruction of someone who has played this game at the highest levels (Pac-12, WCWS, NPF, USWNT).

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2015
RAD - what % of balls do you see get by your catchers when they try to field/pick the short hop? (Compared to if they would have dropped to block the same pitch).

Feb 26, 2016
Murfreesboro, TN
If you are going to play the resume card to show that your opinion is more valid than anyone else's, you aren't really "interested in perspectives".

Sounds like somebody22 else we know (it all).

Sounds a little like a bot too. I'm not even sure what is trying to be said, but willing to listen. Can't add much even though my kid is a starting catcher at a D1.

Catching isn't for all. The best I've seen playing have all been very athletic.

RAD - what % of balls do you see get by your catchers when they try to field/pick the short hop? (Compared to if they would have dropped to block the same pitch).

Now I understand. Thanks Gags.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
I appreciate the perspectives.
Welcome comments feedback and opinions. Simply offered a dab of my resume to support longevity in softball.

I'm not here to tell others what they have to do, or need to do. I am sharing what is and has been extremely effective in my experience in softball.

There are different mechanics people utilize. Discussing them brings attention to the sport and this topic specifically to the catching position.

Enjoy

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2019
I appreciate all perpectives.
Welcome comments feedback and opinions. Simply offered a dab of my resume to support longevity in softball.

I'm not here to tell others what they have to do, or need to do. I am sharing what is and has been extremely effective in my experience in softball.

There are different mechanics people utilize. Discussing them brings attention to the sport and this topic specifically to the catching position.

Enjoy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802