Catcher Pop times

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
My DD was faster from her knees, but always preferred to throw from her feet because she felt like her accuracy was much better. One thing that became very obvious was that the success of throwing out a runner is influenced a LOT by the quality of the SS at the other end. My DD's CS rate dropped significantly in her final year of 18U after her magician SS left for college the previous year.
Like your post commenting how important the infielders are!

Where/How the Tag is applied can be very influential!

Oct 26, 2019
My DD was faster from her knees, but always preferred to throw from her feet because she felt like her accuracy was much better. One thing that became very obvious was that the success of throwing out a runner is influenced a LOT by the quality of the SS at the other end. My DD's CS rate dropped significantly in her final year of 18U after her magician SS left for college the previous year.
This is one of those things all coaches would agree with, yet most times I see catchers working on throw downs the MIF’ers are camped at second taking the throws. I like to purposely make my middles late to cover just so they get used to making an athlete play/tag on the move. You are rarely ever there just waiting for the ball.

May 20, 2015
This is one of those things all coaches would agree with, yet most times I see catchers working on throw downs the MIF’ers are camped at second taking the throws. I like to purposely make my middles late to cover just so they get used to making an athlete play/tag on the move. You are rarely ever there just waiting for the ball.

i specifically work drills with my MINFs on this.....i take a bucket and camp out about 10' away, i start them 10' from the bag......at least a bucket a day in pre season, and they often ask to stay after and do a bucket mid season

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Love me some Glove Work!!!
Include catchers are defensive players!!!

Jun 20, 2015
just one of those things that you see on internet and it's like "really dude??". no way in hell that the 1.56 pop time is accurate. not only is it an outlier type number impossible for even the best to reach, it's certainly not accurate when claiming 52mph overhand velo.

I've seen plenty of 1.8-2.2 second times over the years. and they are normally from very quick footed and release catchers, throwing mid-60's mph overhand.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
just one of those things that you see on internet and it's like "really dude??". no way in hell that the 1.56 pop time is accurate. not only is it an outlier type number impossible for even the best to reach, it's certainly not accurate when claiming 52mph overhand velo.
Wonder if people who are doing that read dfp?
Or utilize any resource to help?

Do know that there are some people that start the clock at the wrong time thinking pop time start when the ball leaves the catcher's hand.
Or
When the ball gets into the catcher's throwing hand and arm is moving.

*Glove to Glove is proper timing!
Or
*On a block the moment it touches the catcher glove or body. To throw reaching Glove Target.

Jun 20, 2015
at some point recently there were a bunch of video clips of mostly professional catchers throwing down to 2b, taken from game footage and stop watch applied. The fastest I saw was Aubry Munro in the 1.79 sec range. most others were in the 1.9-2.0sec range. again, actual game footage was used.

And again my point, if the 'best' can't be faster than 1.7xsec on a pop time....how in the heck is a random catcher from mid-west hitting a 1.56sec time??? they easy answer is that she isn't.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robertsonwhitney45