Catcher Pop times

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
What age? There is obviously huge ranges..

In a tryout format, I'd say

10u - 2.0
12u - 1.8
14u+ - <1.8

This is in a tryout format where it is encouraged to cheat!
😁 that was funny! Reading the times was like wwwhhat?
Then I read the last sentence...

radness

Dec 13, 2019
What are people seeing with their own catchers as far as pop times or measured at tryouts??
16u and 18u teams recently have measured between 1.8 and 2.1
Random teams, during game throws.

Sorry no try out info

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
16u and 18u teams recently have measured between 1.8 and 2.1
Random teams, during game throws.
Pop times are subjective to pitch location and who is holding the stop watch. Attention should be paid to the catcher's accuracy also. What good is a 1.72 pop time if have the time it is no where near the bag? Game throws will be usually be a little slower than camp throws.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Pop times are subjective to pitch location and who is holding the stop watch. Attention should be paid to the catcher's accuracy also. What good is a 1.72 pop time if have the time it is no where near the bag? Game throws will be usually be a little slower than camp throws.
Interestingly some catchers are quicker in games because they have more sense of urgency.

Definitely accuracy important!

Apr 25, 2019
My DD was clocked at a D1 camp at a 1.72 which is her PR. She is a first year 16u catcher. Game time throws can go either way. If a leadoff batter gets on then she is anticipating it and is ready to make the throw on any given pitch. Where she gets in trouble is fast girls in the middle of the lineup that she wouldn't expect to steal. Those are probably closer to the 1.8 and 1.9 range.

Jun 20, 2015
Thank you for the input.

Reason for asking, have seen a couple people posting pop times & over hand MPH for their catchers on social media. Didn't think 52mph and pop time of 1.56sec quite matched...LOLOLOLOL Nothing's illegal until you get caught. SMH.

Apr 25, 2019
Thank you for the input.

Reason for asking, have seen a couple people posting pop times & over hand MPH for their catchers on social media. Didn't think 52mph and pop time of 1.56sec quite matched...LOLOLOLOL Nothing's illegal until you get caught. SMH.

Yeah, something is a little off with that. The FASA World Series in Branson always posts pop times during the summer. They have 10u players from the Hittin' Kittens throwing 1.56 pop times. If that's the case, they are on the wrong teams....lol

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Interestingly some catchers are quicker in games because they have more sense of urgency.

Definitely accuracy important!

My DD was faster from her knees, but always preferred to throw from her feet because she felt like her accuracy was much better. One thing that became very obvious was that the success of throwing out a runner is influenced a LOT by the quality of the SS at the other end. My DD's CS rate dropped significantly in her final year of 18U after her magician SS left for college the previous year.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802