Catcher cooling in summer

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 10, 2022
Long Island NY
Water. water. water. water breaks during the inning. call timeout make sure she drinks. get the helmet and mask off between at bats for a second. anything that goes along with the products already mentioned. i highly advise finding another catcher or 2. no catcher should be playing behind the dish more than 50% of the time if you ask me. this can be very dangerous and you do not want to tax the kid.

Oct 18, 2021
Check out Dr. Andrew Huberman’s work at Stanford around optimal cooling methods for all athletes. If you listen to podcasts it is Huberman Lab 5/21/21.

He explains the key to cooling your system is through glabrous skin in your palms, cheeks and the bottom of your feet. The blood vessels in these locations allow for the quickest transfer of heat. Doing cooling in other parts for the body is suboptimal and may actually trap heat in due to constricting blood vessels.

Related to this work Stanford is producing a commercial product called Cool Mitt. It is not available to the public yet but is in use with elite athletes and the military.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
Hydration is #1.
Frog Toggs in a cooler of water and ice are pretty helpful too.
Get as much shade as possible.
Always run for your catcher if you can, even if she's one of your better base runners.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802