Careful out there...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 10, 2016
Georgia
DD had covid and had to miss a tournament. No one wears masks at the tournaments and the parents do not social distance while watching games. We're pretty sure she got it at the tournament we played just prior.

Not sure why it seems people think not wearing a mask is okay outside if you're going to sit right next to other people. DH has a compromised immune system and luckily he did not catch it from DD. At tournaments he sits out near the outfield to avoid the people who don't care about masks. He's got his second dose just last week but tbh I don't see us not wearing masks for a while.

May 6, 2015
I am just hoping that they Ok the vaccines for under 16 soon, DD2 is 14, and I hope she can get fully vaccinated prior to Nationals in early July (I and DD1 and DS are already vaccinated, DW has second shot next week), otherwise I fear a lot of flack from her summer swim team (she will have already missed a week of their season by then). If not vaccinated by then, we will look into getting her tested immediately prior to leaving for the trip home.

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
I'm not getting into the logistics of the whole mask-wearing thing. I wear mine where I have to like to classes, practices, the doctors, and a few other places. I'd rather not wear a mask if I don't need to. My state allows everyone 16+ to get vaccinated. I'm not sold on the safety of it. I'll get it when I have to.
When I read the 'vaccine' is an 'experimental RNA messenger device' and Fauci says it does not protect you from getting the disease, my spider senses started tingling.

Sep 7, 2020
What is amazing to me is if this attitude existed in the 19th though mid 20th century there would have been no way they would have eradicated small pox - problem is we had people who decided to politicize this virus and defame and demean medical professionals trying to protect the populus

A little history review...

Late in the 19th century, it was realized that vaccination did not confer lifelong immunity and that subsequent revaccination was necessary. The mortality from smallpox had declined, but the epidemics showed that the disease was still not under control. In the 1950s a number of control measures were implemented, and smallpox was eradicated in many areas in Europe and North America. The process of worldwide eradication of smallpox was set in motion when the World Health Assembly received a report in 1958 of the catastrophic consequences of smallpox in 63 countries (Figure (Figure55). In 1967, a global campaign was begun under the guardianship of the World Health Organization and finally succeeded in the eradication of smallpox in 1977. On May 8, 1980, the World Health Assembly announced that the world was free of smallpox and recommended that all countries cease vaccination: “The world and all its people have won freedom from smallpox, which was the most devastating disease sweeping in epidemic form through many countries since earliest times, leaving death, blindness and disfigurement in its wake”

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
What is amazing to me is if this attitude existed in the 19th though mid 20th century there would have been no way they would have eradicated small pox - problem is we had people who decided to politicize this virus and defame and demean medical professionals trying to protect the populus

A little history review...

Late in the 19th century, it was realized that vaccination did not confer lifelong immunity and that subsequent revaccination was necessary. The mortality from smallpox had declined, but the epidemics showed that the disease was still not under control. In the 1950s a number of control measures were implemented, and smallpox was eradicated in many areas in Europe and North America. The process of worldwide eradication of smallpox was set in motion when the World Health Assembly received a report in 1958 of the catastrophic consequences of smallpox in 63 countries (Figure (Figure55). In 1967, a global campaign was begun under the guardianship of the World Health Organization and finally succeeded in the eradication of smallpox in 1977. On May 8, 1980, the World Health Assembly announced that the world was free of smallpox and recommended that all countries cease vaccination: “The world and all its people have won freedom from smallpox, which was the most devastating disease sweeping in epidemic form through many countries since earliest times, leaving death, blindness and disfigurement in its wake”

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
I hear ya kiddo. Hope everything works out.

But until the 'politics' turns into a debate (discussion) open to the public with a number of doctors and scientists who don't agree on everything , I am going to have strong reservations. Sort of like the forums here where we can agree to disagree.

Jul 5, 2016
I suspect you will see less resistance to getting vaccinated in, say, India where people are experiencing what happens when the government loses control of a pandemic. Clearly there are many reasons why India is being hit so hard, but as I get older and, occasionally, wiser, I remember that, "There but for the grace of God go I."

Oct 4, 2018
If I were to be transported back in time, what I would miss most is modern medicine and toilet paper. If COVID-19 had crawled out from under its rock in 1900, the dying would be mind-boggling. We are so lucky that we have a scientific and medical community that allowed us to get ahead of this virus in record time.

I am happy that I was able to get the vaccine. Whatever the risks of the vaccine, the risks associated with COVID-19 are several orders of magnitude greater.

And when I wear my mask, I do it for the person I pass who has a compromised immune system, not for myself. Personally, while I am glad I never caught the virus, I think my odds of recovering would have been okay.

Thank you. My wife has a compromised immune system and it's people like you who will help keep her alive.

The vaccine is simply instructing your body to know how to identify and fight Covid when you get it. It doesn't cause Covid, and is healthier than most things people routinely put into their bodies. Glad the majority of humans know that. And many of the people against Covid vaccine are living healthy having had vaccines for many other diseases (mumps, measles, rubella, whooping cough, etc.).

Jul 5, 2016
If the initial strain of Covid-19 was as contagious and deadly as some of the latest strains, we wouldn't really be having a discussion about whether or not to get vaccinated. On the other hand, I understand there was some resistance to the smallpox vaccine. I wonder if General Washington encountered much resistance to his inoculation program when he ordered all of his soldiers to receive the inoculation.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478