Can you teach pitching without pitching (cont'd)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 18, 2013
He has success as a pitching coach, however, one of those gigs was at the pro level, where you are not teaching them anything.

There is another problem here. He probably can't even pitch a ball underhanded.

My requirements for a PC would be: former fastpitch pitcher, former baseball pitcher, then maybe a catcher.

The problem with not hiring a former pitcher, is they will do stupid things like pull a pitcher when they are one out from a win (which I have witnessed). All the pitchers will see this and immediately lose confidence in the PC.

He threw batting practice at LSU for three years. I think he can throw underhand. You can’t dismiss coaching with the Chicago Bandits. Even NPF pitchers need coaching. If they didn’t we wouldn’t see position coaches in any pro sports.

Jan 25, 2022
He threw batting practice at LSU for three years. I think he can throw underhand. You can’t dismiss coaching with the Chicago Bandits. Even NPF pitchers need coaching. If they didn’t we wouldn’t see position coaches in any pro sports.
In one of Rick Pauly's videos, I believe he said when his daughter comes in, she leaves with 8 - 10 things to work on...lol. Even the best athletes in any sport will pick up a hitch or bad pattern, or some sort of habit.

Feb 15, 2017
To the OP's question of "wise hire?"...I'll say yes. Of course, once we look back on this after a season or two we'll know more but his experience up to this point has been strong. Whether or not someone has pitched or not should not be the defining criteria.
But there has been discussion here that having been a pitcher makes you a better pitching coach. Question is at what level is that more critical?

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Sep 1, 2021
But there has been discussion here that having been a pitcher makes you a better pitching coach. Question is at what level is that more critical?

The worst pitching coaches I've ever seen are ex-pitchers. They are qualified to most based on experience whether they understand the science/mechanics or not. Every pitching coach in my immediate area is an ex-pitcher that teaches wrist flicks, Ts, Ks, palm down to palm up pitching.
It's like when you assume the scratch golfer at the course can improve your swing because they're a good player.
This obviously isn't happening at this level, and I'm sure we'd agree that all else being equal, we'd prefer the patching coach to have been a pitcher. But you may not be able to have it all, and while that pitcher was spending time grinding in the circle, the non-pitcher may have been perfecting their craft and becoming an effective coach.

Feb 15, 2017
The worst pitching coaches I've ever seen are ex-pitchers. They are qualified to most based on experience whether they understand the science/mechanics or not. Every pitching coach in my immediate area is an ex-pitcher that teaches wrist flicks, Ts, Ks, palm down to palm up pitching.
It's like when you assume the scratch golfer at the course can improve your swing because they're a good player.
This obviously isn't happening at this level, and I'm sure we'd agree that all else being equal, we'd prefer the patching coach to have been a pitcher. But you may not be able to have it all, and while that pitcher was spending time grinding in the circle, the non-pitcher may have been perfecting their craft and becoming an effective coach.
Isn't Mike White a former Pitcher? Doug Gillis? Bill Hillhouse? Once again does level of play matter?

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
He has success as a pitching coach, however, one of those gigs was at the pro level, where you are not teaching them anything.

There is another problem here. He probably can't even pitch a ball underhanded.

My requirements for a PC would be: former fastpitch pitcher, former baseball pitcher, then maybe a catcher.

The problem with not hiring a former pitcher, is they will do stupid things like pull a pitcher when they are one out from a win (which I have witnessed). All the pitchers will see this and immediately lose confidence in the PC.

There's a lot of certainty in your statements despite having literally no evidence for any of it.

If pro level pitching coaches don't teach anything, I'm pretty sure the extremely greedy MLB owners would've all gotten rid of pitching coaches years ago. Even pros are always learning. It's mind-blowing that you'd think otherwise.

What makes you think he can't pitch a ball underhanded? Other than just MSU because you have a weird point to make?

It's bizarre that you'd hire a former baseball pitcher over people who have expertise in softball when baseball pitching and softball pitching are really almost nothing alike. I guess you can have some connection on the mental side of the game.

Pitching coaches aren't making pitching changes. Head coaches/managers do that.

Nov 18, 2013

When I hear a former pitcher, or player, doesn’t always make a good coach it’s usually rooted In sexism. Of course being a former player doesn’t guarantee they’ll be great coaches, but some of these clowns treat it as a reason to disqualify a more qualified coach so they can play Daddyball.

In the case of McMahon he has the education and paid his dues establishing a proven track record at the highest levels of travel, NCAA and NPF to be chosen at Alabama.

Jun 8, 2016
Again, let’s assume one of the more successful college softball coaches knows what he is doing..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802