Can Student Athletes Communicate with Prospective SA?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 20, 2016
Virginia
I understand the rule that D1/D2 coaches cannot speak to PSA until September 1 of their jr year. However, can existing student athletes “entertain” a prospect?

Nov 18, 2013
They can talk to them as individuals. They can’t represent the school, the coach or relay offers. They can’t entertain them with gifts or money if that’s where you’re going.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Thanks. Yes, I was referring to if a athlete can show a prospect around campus and talk about the schools academics/ athletics.

For a personal tour of the college, probably not as an 'organized activities' for the most past. Casually yes, sure. "Hey I can show you around and chat" is different than "Coach would love for me to show you around and chat" or even that Coach has instructed the student to offer this up to a prospect.

I know that all feels like a fine line - it is. The NCAA rules are complex, often contradictory, regularly stupid and somewhat petty when it comes to this and you are better off NOT doing some things without the college's NCAA Compliance officer clearing it. Blame past behavior of POWER 5 conferences/coaches in most sports including softball and then football/basketball in general for the most part

Ad hoc activities such as Social media, emails, phone calls are all good between students.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478