Can coaches comment on Athletic Funds like this?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 7, 2018
So ... forgive me, I'm in a little bit of shock right now. So DD tells me thar her asst coach pulled her and her roommate aside (the only freshman on the team) and was telling them about how they have potential recruits coming that they really want bla bla bla and to make sure there room looks good to show them. ok whatever... then she says, you know yoy guys are probably going to have your funds pulled for these girls we really want?

Just wrong on many levels. I knew that DD was playing for a coach that didn't recruit her but I never expected that comment. it's demoralizing for sure at the very least!

Thoughts?

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
I am really hoping what she heard is not what the coach meant. Doesn't really make sense. Was the coach trying to be funny and it was not funny?

Jul 19, 2021
So ... forgive me, I'm in a little bit of shock right now. So DD tells me thar her asst coach pulled her and her roommate aside (the only freshman on the team) and was telling them about how they have potential recruits coming that they really want bla bla bla and to make sure there room looks good to show them. ok whatever... then she says, you know yoy guys are probably going to have your funds pulled for these girls we really want?

Just wrong on many levels. I knew that DD was playing for a coach that didn't recruit her but I never expected that comment. it's demoralizing for sure at the very least!

Thoughts?

I'm speechless. I just can't imagine a coach ever saying that to one of their players. If the comment was serious and not an attempt at humor, it seems obvious that they would rather your DD transfer out. I would oblige them if it were me but that's just an opinion. I wouldn't be too inclined to play hard for this staff, that's for certain.

Aug 7, 2018
I am really hoping what she heard is not what the coach meant. Doesn't really make sense. Was the coach trying to be funny and it was not funny?
I'm pretty sure she heard correctly and that was what she meant. this coach is very young and probably repeating something talked about in a coaches meeting.

I feel like something needs to be said about it, but I don't know if my daughter would bring it up to the head coach.

Aug 7, 2018
I'm speechless. I just can't imagine a coach ever saying that to one of their players. If the comment was serious and not an attempt at humor, it seems obvious that they would rather your DD transfer out. I would oblige them if it were me but that's just an opinion. I wouldn't be too inclined to play hard for this staff, that's for certain.
I feel the same way! but my DD has to make that decision. Very disappointing to say the least.

May 20, 2016
Your DD should just go talk to the coach. Part of being an adult. If what was said is correct, it would be pretty messed up. Coming from a young assistant though it's hard to gauge.

Aug 7, 2018
Your DD should just go talk to the coach. Part of being an adult. If what was said is correct, it would be pretty messed up. Coming from a young assistant though it's hard to gauge.
I agree. I'm going to talk to her about bringing it up to the head coach. she wasn't upset about it (it kinda went over her head and she was just like oh well) but in my mind I was like holy hell, but acted calm to her lol. If that makes sense. :)

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
I just posted a new thread. And yes, I would ask for clarification. These kids deserve to know where they stand and what is required of them to succeed.

Years ago a former(thank God, got fired in a less than stellar public way!) D1 coach got pissed at an everyday starter and benched her for several weeks for clarifying a rule that she was not following. Players would NOT start/play if they didn't pass their "gassers" test. Team is at a hotel and she comes storming around the corner and confronts player asking if she needs to say something to her. You know the coach that says, "I have an open door policy and you can ask me anything." Kid says, Coach you said if we don't pass the gassers test we don't play. So and so is playing. Coach says. "That's disrespectful!" and storms off. Kid sits on the bench for several weeks and coach never says anything to her. The kid plays her 4 years, graduates with honors and is Very well employed at VERY large O&G company.

Jan 31, 2015
As always, there's a big difference between *can* and *should*.

That said, perhaps in some way the assistant was giving them an *unofficial* heads up so they wouldn't be blindsided, or maybe some way to motivate them to step up or something.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802