Bunter out while in the box

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 19, 2018
This happened twice this weekend with the same HP umpire. Perhaps I've never properly understood the batters box rules.

The batter is sacrifice bunting. She is all the way at the front of the box. She bunts the ball into fair territory and it bounces back up and hits the batter runner (BR), before she leaves the box. The HP ump called dead ball, batter is out.

He explained that the very front of the box is in fair territory. So if the ball touches the BR while she is in fair territory (even though she is still in the box), the BR is out. Is this correct?

I appreciate the help.

May 20, 2015
not to my knowledge

i believe the batter is protected when in the box......while a portion of the box is fair, the batter is protected when contacting a ball within the box.......correct call should be dead ball/foul if i am not mistaken

inumpire

Observer, but has an opinion
Oct 31, 2014
not to my knowledge

i believe the batter is protected when in the box......while a portion of the box is fair, the batter is protected when contacting a ball within the box.......correct call should be dead ball/foul if i am not mistaken
That would be correct under ever rule set that I have ever umpired in.

Dec 15, 2018
CT
In the USA rulebook,

She is protected from being called out for hitting the ball a second time with the bat, with the bat in her hands in the batters box.

She is out if she makes contact with a fair batted ball.

There's nothing in the book (that I can find) that says she's protected by being in the batters box, but this would be a very difficult thing to parse, and if there were any doubt, I would call foul.

JOHNN

Just a dad of 3 girls
Aug 5, 2019
South Louisiana
This happened twice this weekend with the same HP umpire. Perhaps I've never properly understood the batters box rules.

The batter is sacrifice bunting. She is all the way at the front of the box. She bunts the ball into fair territory and it bounces back up and hits the batter runner (BR), before she leaves the box. The HP ump called dead ball, batter is out.

He explained that the very front of the box is in fair territory. So if the ball touches the BR while she is in fair territory (even though she is still in the box), the BR is out. Is this correct?

I appreciate the help.

“The very front of the box” Is a pretty broad explanation bc how does one determine how far that actually extends?

To me, it seems like this should be a dead ball foul as long as the runner has not exited the box.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
If im hitting from the front of the box...inside the box,
And i hit a pitch off my front foot...
And it goes anywhere on the field ...in fair territory.
Is that a legal hit ?
or dead ball strike/foul !

This is a rhetorical question.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
“The very front of the box” Is a pretty broad explanation bc how does one determine how far that actually extends?

To me, it seems like this should be a dead ball foul as long as the runner has not exited the box.
The white lines are a determining factor

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
NCAA Rules:
The batter is out when:

11.21.7 A batted ball hits the batter, or hits the dirt or home plate and then hits the batter when the batter is out of the batter’s box, and the batted ball is considered fair.
EFFECT—The ball is dead. Each base runner must return to the base legally occupied at the time of the pitch.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robertsonwhitney45