Bunt hits bat in fair territory

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 30, 2010
Artic Circle
Rules question for high school softball umpires. Batter bunts ball in fair territory, drops bat in fair territory and ball rolls into bat. Out or no? Plate ump calls batter out, then talks with base umpires and call is changed to safe.

Feb 13, 2021
MI
NFHS 7-4-13

The Batter is out
After hitting or bunting a ball, the bat hits the ball a second time while the ball is on or over fair territory, or is on or over foul territory and, in the umpire's judgment, had a chance to become a fair ball.

Exception: If the batter is in the batter's box and the bat is in the batter's hands when the second contact occurs, it is a foul ball regardless of whether the ball was on or over fair or foul territory unless, in the umpire's judgment, the batter intentionally hit the ball a second time.

Dec 11, 2021
I wonder if this is one of those situations where the rules differ. In NCAA and USA rules the batter is safe as long as the umpire determines the contact wasn't intentional.
From NCAA 11.12:
If the bat is out of the batter’s hand(s) (on the ground), the ball rolls against the dropped bat in fair territory and, in the umpire’s judgment, there was no intent to interfere with the course of the ball, the ball is live. If it stops or is touched in fair territory, it is a fair ball. If the ball touches the dropped bat in fair territory and then rolls to foul ground and stops, it is a foul ball. If the ball rolls against the dropped bat in foul territory, it is a foul ball regardless.
From USA Softball Section 6-M-2:
When he batter drops the bat and the ball rolls against the bat in fair territory, and, in the umpire's judgement, there was no intent to interfere with the ball. Effect: The ball remains live.

Jul 22, 2015
I wonder if this is one of those situations where the rules differ. In NCAA and USA rules the batter is safe as long as the umpire determines the contact wasn't intentional.
No. The parts of the rules you quoted were only related to when the bat is on the ground and the ball rolls into it, and that is the same in all sets as far as I know. If the batter drops the bat onto/into the ball she is out in all rule sets.

Dec 11, 2021
The parts of the rules you quoted were only related to when the bat is on the ground and the ball rolls into it,
This is how I interpreted John's post. The bat was dropped and not moving and the ball rolled into the bat. It all depends on which object is doing the moving.
Ball rolled into a stationary bat but just barely…
Since Ed's interpretation of the rule was batter is out, and I don't have the NFHS rules to quote I posted the rule sets I know.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Since Ed's interpretation of the rule was batter is out, and I don't have the NFHS rules to quote I posted the rule sets I know.

I don't think Ed was interpreting the OP as an out, but was merely posting the rule that says when it should be called an out (bat hits ball).

You're correct that it depends on which object is doing the moving (and if both are moving, it's an out).

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478