Bullet spin rise?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 4, 2018
san diego ca
I understand the principle of creating movement by presenting a smooth spot on the ball that faces into the air flow. I'll play around with it and see if it's any easier.
don't forget to make a bullseye ball so you can see what's happening... then hold the ball so the leading smooth spot leads the way... however that might be... 😎

Nov 9, 2021
Kid that pitches with our DD has absolute perfect spin on her rise ball. Her fastball is about 50 and her rise maybe 40. Keep wondering if she will ever be able to throw it hard enough. The spin is perfect no tilt.

Ok I know this is an old post and not sure if you will see this or not. But curious if the slow rise was an effective pitch for her or not? My daughter has a similar speed in her fastball and riseball. She gets really good backspin on the ball and a high spin rate but it slows the ball way down. Have been hesitant to have her throw it in games since it tends to float into the zone. Her change up is a similar speed and it has downward movement instead and we have stuck with that.

She throws the bullet spin when she messes up the rise and it is a good bit faster. Curious if I should just have her focus on that rather than the true spin that makes the rise so slow. I just haven’t seen many slow riseballs and was wondering if she is wasting her time working on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Ok I know this is an old post and not sure if you will see this or not. But curious if the slow rise was an effective pitch for her or not? My daughter has a similar speed in her fastball and riseball. She gets really good backspin on the ball and a high spin rate but it slows the ball way down. Have been hesitant to have her throw it in games since it tends to float into the zone. Her change up is a similar speed and it has downward movement instead and we have stuck with that.

She throws the bullet spin when she messes up the rise and it is a good bit faster. Curious if I should just have her focus on that rather than the true spin that makes the rise so slow. I just haven’t seen many slow riseballs and was wondering if she is wasting her time working on it.

Do you have any video of the rise with true back spin? How is she spinning the ball, is she turning the door knob? That might be the problem.

She is doing something different that is causing a speed change that is the same speed as her change.

Nov 9, 2021
Do you have any video of the rise with true back spin? How is she spinning the ball, is she turning the door knob? That might be the problem.

She is doing something different that is causing a speed change that is the same speed as her change.

She uses a thumb off grip and kind of cups the ball. It is what her pitching coach has her doing. The thumb off grip allows her to increase the amount of spin she gets on the pitch. The extra spin seems to be what is slowing down the pitch. I can try and get some video this week.

Jan 28, 2017

The young lady that I was talking about plays SS for our HS team and doesn't pitch with the HS team. She is up to 56 and rise is very good but a lot slower. From what i understand she is very effective in TB with it but I haven't seen her pitch in awhile. HS team made to the Final Four and she was the only kid that could play SS. My DD and another pitcher threw all the innings. She is close to as good or as good, IMO.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
She uses a thumb off grip and kind of cups the ball. It is what her pitching coach has her doing. The thumb off grip allows her to increase the amount of spin she gets on the pitch. The extra spin seems to be what is slowing down the pitch. I can try and get some video this week.

Thumb off would cause a problem. No thumb and cupping, maybe she is getting it to deep?

If you can post video, get a fastball and rise. See if we can see any differences.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
It's common for a curve or a rise to have less velocity than a fastball because the action of imparting spin puts some energy into the spin and therefore less energy into projecting the ball forward. Only a few pitchers are able throw a true back spin rise with fastball velocity, even in these cases it is usually a few MPH slower. You're going to have to try the slow rise and see how it works, at the lower levels I'm sure it will be very effective, as she moves up it's possible the hitters could sit on it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812