Bullet spin rise?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 4, 2018
san diego ca
Sorry, but I have to disagree with you. If the spin axis is below the direction of the ball, then the Magnus force will be sideways, not up/down. It really isn't a matter of opinion. It's a matter of physics.
what physics are you referring to? are you talking about bullet spin with a yawed axis? i'm going by the video i posted in reply #6... according to that, the ball moves away from the direction of the yaw... so having the axis below the line of flight would induce the magnus force to push the ball upward... if you are referring to spinning the ball to induce the magnus force, that's completely different from what i'm saying... there are 2 ways to induce the magnus force... the way i'n referring to is mostly unknown to americans... but well known in cricket... :cool:

Jul 4, 2018
san diego ca
keep in mind that i'm not positive about any of this in fast pitch but i'm certain that it works for me in slow pitch... it really would be nice if some of you would make bullseye balls so you can see what's happening better... especially in slow motion... trying to see what rachel garcias balls are doing is difficult at best but with a circle outlining the seams it would be easy to see... it's pretty easy to make one... 😎

Jul 4, 2018
san diego ca
No disrespect but a slow pitch riseball? Can the velocity be high enough to generate enough Magnus force to effect the ball?
no... i have no rise ball in slow pitch... but i do have a big curve that adheres to the explanation i gave... the yaw is to the right so the ball moves to the left... anything beyond that i have very little experience with... however, i do start my warm ups with a windmill motion and i know i have a left to right curve when it's yawed to the left... everything else is extrapolation from that... and the video i posted...

again... some of you should make a bullseye ball so you can see what's happening... how it's oriented in terms of the movement you get...:cool:

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
The curve in cricket is caused by the smooth side of the ball slowing down the airflow in relation to the rough/seam side, allowing the Magnus effect to work. I'm having trouble picturing the 'yaw' that you are talking about and exactly how the ball is spinning. I put quarter size spots on balls to demonstrate spin.

Jul 4, 2018
san diego ca
The curve in cricket is caused by the smooth side of the ball slowing down the airflow in relation to the rough/seam side, allowing the Magnus effect to work. I'm having trouble picturing the 'yaw' that you are talking about and exactly how the ball is spinning. I put quarter size spots on balls to demonstrate spin.
here's a few pictures to show what i mean... in these pictures, the direction the ball is moving is straight at you...

the 1st picture shows normal bullet spin with the spin axis directly through the center of the large smooth spot inside the seam... there is no movement because everything is balanced...

the other pictures depict the yaw from the normal bullet spin and the movement imo is away from the yaw... the movement i state is from the perspective of the catcher...

the 2nd pic shows the orientation for right to left movement...

the 3rd pic shows the orientation for left to right movement...

the 4th pic shows the orientation for a drop ball...

and the 5th pic shows the orientation for a rise ball...

keeping in mind that the spin is always through the center of the smooth spot... BULLET SPIN.jpgRIGHT TO LEFT.jpgLEFT TO RIGHT.jpgDROP BALL.jpgRISE BALL.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2018
san diego ca
i don't want to confuse this issue so keep in mind... this post is about another way we get movement in slow pitch without using a single smooth spot... i have some pics to help show what i'm saying... this is the orientation i use to get a screwball with left to right movement...

the 1st pic shows my normal release wrist angle with the spin axis through the smooth spot and the seam on the opposite side of the direction of flight from the spin axis... as already discussed... it gets right to left movement...

the 2nd pic shows my wrist angle for the screwball... this rotates the ball to the right so the seam is on the same side as the spin axis... with this, you get a semi-continuous smooth spot made up of 2 smooth spots and the narrow sections between them...

pics 3 4 and 5 show how this creates a smooth spot with the movement being left to right... however, i only get about 50% of the movement i that i get from the other orientation... however, this allows me to throw both pitches basically the same way so the hitter doesn't know which way it will break... the only difference in the deliveries is my wrist angle at release... everything else is exactly the same...

i can't say for sure this will affect the movement in fast pitch... i'm mostly just guessing it will...
FRONTDOOR SLIDER 52.jpgBACKDOOR SLIDER 53.jpgBACKDOOR SLIDER 54.jpgBACKDOOR SLIDER 55.jpgBACKDOOR SLIDER 56.jpg
hopefully, you can make sense of this... :cool:

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
I understand the principle of creating movement by presenting a smooth spot on the ball that faces into the air flow. I'll play around with it and see if it's any easier.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802