Bullet spin rise?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
There is no such thing as a bullet spin rise.

By definition a "bullet spin rise" is simply a high pitch.

I used to believe that. But, I'm not so sure any more.

With simply a high pitch, the batters will foul it off or maybe "just" miss it.

But, they were missing Garcia's pitch by 3 or 4 inches.

Mar 6, 2018
I could be totally wrong but she's not throwing a real rise ball. She's mimicking the spin of her curve ball and getting an upward location. That's what's deceiving the batters. Im no expert though

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Oct 4, 2018
A batter's mind results in them swinging where they expect the ball to be. Something about Garcia's pitch makes their minds think the ball is going to be lower than where it ends up. So they miss it.

Is the ball actually rising? I dunno. Kind of doubt it. Is it fooling the batters? Most assuredly.

Jul 22, 2015
Maybe her pitch is not a 'bullet' spin. I can't tell from the clip on the other thread exactly how it's rotating.

I think we have to keep in mind that while we see "bullet" spin every degree of yaw off of the absolute true bullet is going to contribute to some kind of movement and/or lack of drop vs a 12-6 spin fastball.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
I find this analysis questionable, especially the part about the palm facing down. If you look at the palm at release from the front you can see that it is facing forward, a bulletspin release. The spin might be tipped a little bit towards curve, nothing mysterious. I remember seeing good video of Monica Abbot's riseball and it was essentially bulletspin.

Nov 8, 2018
I find this analysis questionable, especially the part about the palm facing down. If you look at the palm at release from the front you can see that it is facing forward, a bulletspin release. The spin might be tipped a little bit towards curve, nothing mysterious. I remember seeing good video of Monica Abbot's riseball and it was essentially bulletspin.

Yeah Monica stays to closed to throw a true rise 6-12.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chris Delorit

Apr 24, 2016
Green Bay, WI
Commentary sounds ok.

Looks like a 2-seam rise grip entry into her "brush" point, using the slight hip contact as a transitional que that leverages her ability to feather whip those fingertips around the front of the thigh which transitions the exit into more of a west-east yaw.

A semi-rise, semi-curve. An either-or or a neither-nor depending on how you want to look at it. Something around 3:45 to 9:45. Her release is deep in exit which obviously will assist that with it's projection angle.

Admittingly, I've not followed her game enough to be familiar with her regular repetoire.

Chris

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478