Building a team

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 13, 2010
Oklahoma
I am a believer in "building" a team not "stacking" a team.

I see a lot of teams in our area that are stacked or loaded with talent. Most of them have to refill their roster year after year. They may play really well together for the 1st season or so, but then all the players are off looking for bigger and better.

My oldest DD is once again teamless. This will be her 5th team in 5 seasons. There is only 1 that we have walked away from.

Some of you may remember earlier this year when we were struggling about whether or not to walk away from a team that joined an academy. DD's best friend was on the team. We did finally walk away and found a team for the spring. It wasn't the best team. There were several players that were good players, but the majority were at a very beginning level (even though they had been playing 5+ years). Coach talked to us personally a lot about just hanging on. He was going to cut several girls for this next year and build a team that wanted to compete. So we hung on and were getting excited for some fall tournaments and next spring. Picking out uniforms, etc.

Coach called me last week and told me his DD didn't want him to coach her anymore. She wanted to go play with the above mentioned academy. He was going to try it out this fall and see what they thought. All else fails, they have unlimited access to the batting cages for hitting and pitching practice.

But like I said, that again leaves DD without a team. So we are on the search for a new team.

BUT.....

I also know many other girls that are looking for a team. These girls are not the all-stars, but have the passion and drive to play and improve and get better.

SO

I have a question for you

How hard would it be to start to build a team while we are looking for a coach? I know of several people who may be able or willing to coach. I would almost like to have a full team in place and tell this, yet unnamed person, this is our team, we need a coach.

I feel that I can run drills and practice, but do not think I have the proper skills at this time to coach a 14U team to its full potential. I very easily have 8-9 girls to start with and a coach friend of mine has offered me names of some other girls she knows that are looking for teams.

Is this a bad idea?
If I have a team that meshes well and can play as a cohesive unit, would it be hard to find a coach to fit? My ideal coach is an empty nester that misses being involved in softball (I think).

Jun 13, 2011
Billerica, MA
It beats not playing. but seriously, If you go into the season knowing you are a new team and there will be bumps in the road then go for it. The girls get to play a season together and even if it is not the best season they are bonding and having fun. If most stay through to next year then you are ahead of the game. I would go for it. Even if you have to coach till you find your replacement.

I think building the team is a big part of the fun.

Jan 27, 2010
Eastern Iowa
I admire what you are trying to do. It is what my philosophy has been since the beginning. I will take a team of girls that REALLY wants to play but just needs the chance to play any day.

Our 14U team this year is in the same boat. We have 2 girls that are still 12U eligible and only 1 second year 14U. Plus 4 of our girls have only played LL softball. They are all good athlete and all have the desire to play AND learn the game.

We played in our first fall league games last night. The first game we lost 6-4 to a second year 14U team. However, we would have won if we were following tournament rules (girls left early with 2 outs, but she was sent back not out). The second game we lost 7-3 to a first year 14U team, but they are have many years of ASA under their belts. We had runners on base every inning, we just couldn't get the big hit.

So, you put that team together and give those girls a place that they can compete and have fun. Win/Loss record isn't the only measuring stick for success!!!

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
Boy oh boy. You are in a spot, my initial reaction is, there are too many teams
and the TB pool is watered down. On the other hand, if you are playing and competing
with established clubs and having a good time doing it-then go for it!

One thing is definite-I am happy not to be in your shoes :)

GOOD LUCK

Feb 3, 2011
We have a hard enough time finding coaches for 10u, so I imagine it is even tougher at 14u. I don't see anything at all wrong with building a team around a core of very strong players, though. When you've got 12-15 young people on a roster and 12-15 families involved with a program, it stands to reason that there will be some amount of turnover every year. People's interests and goals are changing all the time, even as adults.

You may be able to form a team with yourself as the temporary coach, but be prepared to keep the position in the event a full-time coach doesn't emerge from the woodwork. It sounds as though you've got a good foundation, so keep the momentum going as best you can. If you've got a game-ready group, maybe you can find some 'B' level tournaments to enter to keep their interest for a while.

Oct 13, 2010
Georgia
If you know for sure you can get players to commit to a team without a coach, then go for it. In my experience, however, I would not let my DD commit to a team without a head coach. I want to know who will be coaching the team before even trying out. That way they have established goals, an approxamant cost, and a plan in place to reach their goals. Also you would be able to check the track record of the coach, is s/he well liked, respected, succesful, a good teacher, stratigest, etc.

Not saying it can't be done, just telling you it may be difficult to get, and keep, players. At 14U, most girls either want to get serious, or quit. That is why they try to get on a "Big Name" or Academy team. They know what they are about. When a player takes a position on a team, it is a commitment to the coaches philosophy as well as the other girls on the team.

Just something to think about.

Oct 13, 2010
Oklahoma
I appreciate the feedback. I have several people in mind to ask to coach, I just know some of them are committed for fall.

One of them played college ball, and has continued playing past college. I have jokingly asked several times and she has never said no. The only conflict I have, she is currently my son's t-ball coach. BUT her hubby is her assistant coach, so maybe....maybe.....

I have a few others in mind as well. I guess I need to gather my courage and go pitch my ideas to some.

Feb 15, 2011
FL
With desire, you can build upon ability. To have girls with real desire to play, you will have the winning combination that a "stacked" team cannot always beat.

May 5, 2008
For me as a parent, I will not put my daughter on a team if I have no idea who the coach will be. I want to know who she's going to be playing for and have an idea of what they are like as a coach.

If you can do it and get players to commit, I don't think it's a terrible idea.

I was just listening to a leadership seminar and they talked about building a team. They talked about how too many business in corporate America today hired talent only (even if the person is a jerk and no one wants to work with/around them). They also talked about how sports teams do that too and how they think it's a mistake and it doesn't really work long term.

Personally, if I had the choice between a decent player that positively impacts the entire team, I'd choose her over another player who can hit the ball harder and farther and has a stronger arm, but sucks the life out of everyone around her! When you choose just talent over the whole picture, you may get that extra 10-20 feet on a hit or an arm that's 5%-10% stronger, but is it really a plus if they bring those around them down?

I'd rather have the one that, skill for skill, may have a little less impact, but if they help the REST of their team play that 5% better because their positivity and can-do attitude is infectious. Don't we, as team come out ahead that way, have less drama, and a lot more fun?

Also - why do you feel you aren't able to do the job? Not enough softball knowledge? Coaching knowledge? Running a team knowledge?

Thing is most who would agree to that will know that the first year is for learning and growing for everyone. I can handle a coach who has their heart in the right place and is just as dedicated to learning and growing and improving as he/she expects his player to be. You can learn a TON in just one season of running a team. Even if you make mistakes, when players can see that you have the right intentions at heart and you DO bother to pay attention and learn and get better just like them, you can maintain their respect.

Also, part of being a good coach and building a good team is surrounding yourself with a staff that is on board with your principles and values AND have STRENGTHS OF THEIR OWN to bring to the table. You do NOT have to know it all from Day 1 and most certainly should not try to do it all by yourself. Bring in people who have strengths where you don't, who have their own brain and can give you feedback and ideas to make the TEAM stronger. It's better for everyone that way. Just as you have different team members with different strengths that you use to make a complete team, you fill your staff the same way. The capability of the coaching staff as a unit is more important than what you can do alone.

Plus, like I said, if you are dedicated to learning and growing as much as you want your players to, you will learn TONS in just one season (about yourself, about running a team, about strategy, about dealing with "outside" distractions to your team, etc, etc, etc). If everyone involved is there for the love of the game and is willing to go through a few bumps and slips and falls along the way en route to becoming something amazing together...what's more fun than that???

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28