Bringing in new players mid season

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
I was wondering if anyone would pick up on him saying people start calling when "he" is winning so much.

Most of the parents are pretty great to fine. The issues go deeper, really and I think some parents are seeing this not ending well.

Lots of common 12C stuff on display. I talked too much as a less experienced coach, and I eventually learned. Smart parents also learn not to air their opinions so publicly.

Apr 26, 2019
This right here. Parents will start losing their minds when they start getting run ruled because like OP said they are so used to their "success" and winning ways. Seen it happen all the time. Once you get you get to 16U and above winning tournaments take a back seat to getting showcased. Instead of talking about who they are playing next, the parents start talking about who is watching who in the stands.

You also tend to play the same 15 teams in your region and you know which of the top 3 will win if there is an elimination bracket.
We were actually a team that got our clocks cleaned A LOT in the fall. We'd show up for out 8 or 9 a.m. game and be home for lunch often. The girls worked hard over the winter and "figured it out " I guess. I think most, not all parents will be OK.

May 6, 2015
maybe talk to one of the ACs about starting a new team, sounds like they have a pretty good idea how to improve a team. sounds like HC is a recruiter/promoter. maybe the team would be better off without HC, and with the new players?

in any event, with the additional data, make plans to get out. finish out season, assuming team does not implode, but make your plans now, line up tryouts, check into guesting, look at the other teams in your area.

oh, and the level of ball they were at, it was called D ball . . . D is for Daddy! DD has played on a couple of D level teams. one was a trainwreck, the other we kind of enjoyed, HC coached only so his DD could play TB, but he actually tried to help all the girls as best he could.

Nov 18, 2013
I was wondering if anyone would pick up on him saying people start calling when "he" is winning so much.

Most of the parents are pretty great to fine. The issues go deeper, really and I think some parents are seeing this not ending well.

I thought that was an odd thing to say. I mean what players or parents look at the record of a C team and say “I wanna be a part of that”. If I have a C player I only care about development. Win/loss record is the least of my concerns. Coach sounds a little nuts and very full of himself.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
If I were in your situation, I'd be planning our exit as we post. 1) HC is playing "Daddy Ball" which I don't deal with. 2) HC is spineless because the parents are running the asylum. If a parent complained to me about sitting an inning, I'd quickly show them the door and tell them not to let it hit them in the rear on the way out if they didn't like it. 3) AC's are the true coaches.

I've been known to bring other players on in the middle of the season. Usually because they are better than all but my best players and I'm short on players. As a matter of fact, I'm looking for several right now due to injuries. I have a 14U TB A team and our first day of tournament play, I lost 1 of my 2 catchers, my starting LF and I'm probably releasing my #2 Pitcher due to them calling a 1/2 hour before warm-ups start and say she's not playing this weekend with no good excuse. The tournament was 2 hours away and I had no way to get a sub for the weekend due to the late notification.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Totally cool here. It just seemed odd to me that leadership and intensity were being brought from 2 girls that are unknown and weren't willing to fulfill their commitment to their current team.
The stuff about "leadership and intensity" is just BS. He must have watched Remember the Titans the night before.

The coach is a little bit of a tool. But, it is 12U ball.

But, the coach does need 12 players at 12U B. Your team will be running into some A teams trophy hunters at the B tourneys.

Oct 4, 2018
maybe talk to one of the ACs about starting a new team, sounds like they have a pretty good idea how to improve a team. sounds like HC is a recruiter/promoter. maybe the team would be better off without HC, and with the new players?

in any event, with the additional data, make plans to get out. finish out season, assuming team does not implode, but make your plans now, line up tryouts, check into guesting, look at the other teams in your area.

oh, and the level of ball they were at, it was called D ball . . . D is for Daddy! DD has played on a couple of D level teams. one was a trainwreck, the other we kind of enjoyed, HC coached only so his DD could play TB, but he actually tried to help all the girls as best he could.

Yes, try to have back-up plans. And yes, talk to the ACs about a team, even if it's just a "You know, if y'all ever start a team we'd be interested in playing on it with you."

Teams fold at the worst times. Don't get left without a team.

May 29, 2015
The AC's run the team. He literally sits on a bucket. They both played college ball, they develop practice plans and game plans. If they leave with their kids and I'm certain they are leaving after the season the team would be an E level team if it was was thing..

One of them, I overhead saying to the other at practice one day, "Have you ever had a coach that did absolutely nothing at all when you played?" The other answered "No . Never." I didn't play softball but did other sports and my answer would also be nope.

While I agree doing nothing is not good, I would also say the vast majority of coaches are doing too much (particularly of the wrong things) during games. A really good head coach will look like he is doing nothing because all of the work was done in preparation.

Your coach is not that coach though.

May 6, 2015
While I agree doing nothing is not good, I would also say the vast majority of coaches are doing too much (particularly of the wrong things) during games. A really good head coach will look like he is doing nothing because all of the work was done in preparation.

Your coach is not that coach though.
this is coach is looking like he is doing nothing because of all the work done by the ACs in preparation

Feb 1, 2021
Stopped reading the previous responses because I wanted to give my honest opinion. Sorry if this is a repeat.

Club ball in a commitment. Bringing in two new girls may ultimately help the team win, but the coaches committed to the girls and the families committed to the team based on what they knew. I would not be surprised at all if parents had a strong opinion about it and if they did, as a coach, I would definitely listen to them.

Out of respect, I wouldn't bring them in, win or lose. After the season, anything goes just about, but in season with no real need other then just wanting to win, no.

Moving up isn't all that big of a deal honestly. When my DD team moved from B to A during second year U12s, with basically the same team, we went from like 80-10 in B to like 65-25 the next year in A. Still pretty good and still won tournaments.

You don't need to overhaul your team to compete at the next level.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee