Brace v Strapping

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

I sprained my ankle a few days ago while playing, quite severely (enough to warrant a trip to the ER for x-rays). I am currently wearing a compression bandage in order to reduce swelling. However when I return to playing in two to three weeks (hopefully!), I will need some extra support. My physiotherapist says that bracing and taping provide similar support, and it is just a matter of personal preference. What do you guys think? ie comfort wise, support etc.?

Jan 23, 2010
VA, USA
It depends on the person, honestly. I tend to find taping injuries (with pre-wrap and medical tape) my preferred way to go. Braces make me sweat worse than tape and prewrap. Just be sure to apply the tape before you get outside and get hot and sweaty. Wet skin=tape no stick.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Do you have a trainer that can tape it? If not, I would go with the brace, so that you know that you are getting the right support.

We used to fix everything with an Ace bandage, but I think that it is a lost art, now.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Look on YouTube, I use it to review taping. There are lots of examples. Did the doctor even tell you what " tape" to use? Look up Kinesiology tape. I always apply a pre wrap, or leave the sock on. But where the tape goes is the important part.

If you go with a brace, make sure that it is returnable, if you don'tblike it.

Apr 20, 2009
Philippines
a brace with a lace. Taping is ok but it loosens up after a while. Make sure that you have a go signal from your orthopedic surgeon. when you're done with therapy make sure to strengthen your ankle after.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gmc7283